install of 9rc3 on top of win 7

It doesn't work. Tried sysinstall too, it makes funky partitions which the subsequent gentoo and grub install don't read; they're not aligned either, 2400kb off, doesn't install a bootable MBR, my Windows 7 has a 100 MB boot partition. I have to install 8.2 and then grind it to 9.

I had that problem too, seemingly no bootable mbr after setup. The USB key I dd'ed the memstick image to had an odd partition setup too. Can't remember whether it was rc or beta; maybe both.

I have to install 8.2 and then grind it to 9

Same here. I think I need to carefully peruse the handbook on bsdinstall.

At least you are up and running.

Cheers.

Edit: take a look here, http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=28601

Hello,
After upgrading to the final version of 9.0, grub2 from ports now loads FreeBSD successfully after running grub-mkconfig.

Cheers!

Does anyone get gtk-gnutella to run? I get core dumps. It used to core dump on gentoo also but now only on freebsd FreeBSD.

What's the problem with Windows 7? It doesn't multitask.

I'm un7zipping a big file now and I have to wait 2 minutes to open Firefox? Or if I'm just moving a 2 GB folder from one partition on the same drive to another it won't open a window for 2 minutes? What the hell's wrong with it?

Maybe a freebsd FreeBSD developer will know, obvouisly a Microsoft one won't tell.

To the guy with the coconuts answering me: I guess you chose to run shell after install? To install grub 2? Did you have to gdisk your Windows 7 stuff before install?

Ok, boot FreeBSD 9 memstick, choose manual partitioning, the / partition has to be the first one in the slice or boot0cfg won't find it. Then when you're done the last window asks if you want to open a shell in the new install, choose yes and run boot0cfg -B /dev/ada0 or whatever your disk is, this will give you a MBR install that will work with an existing win 7 install. I install gentoo, then grub. You can install grub in freebsd FreeBSD also.

Yup, grub's find in Gentoo can't find freebsd FreeBSD partition. I think I'm going to just play the bongos!

Hello,

I installed FreeBSD on a separate hard disk to Archlinux. I initially chain-loaded the newly-installed FreeBSD using additions to /etc/grub.d/40_custom from Archlinux. Then I installed grub2 from ports.

To date grub2 from Archlinux doesn't add FreeBSD to grub.cfg . It just says
Code:
Unknown Linux Distribution on /dev/sdxx

Cheers.

Ehh, you know some people try to be somewhat funny with juvenile and capricious banter, there soup-Nazi, in an effort to bring readers in.

Back