Install FreeBSD 9 on UFS1

I didn't find where to choose UFS1 instead of UFS2 while installing FreeBSD 9.
It was possible with 8.X versions.

All I have is:
Code:
ada0         99.8 GB  GPT
    ada0p1   64 kB    freebsd-boot
    ada0p2   99.8 GB  freebsd-ufs
<Create> <Delete> <Modify> <Revert> <Auto> <Finish>
Thanks.

tangi said:
That's because l[red]L[/red]inux supports only UFS1 mount write.
Do you wish to have your entire FreeBSD filesystem hierarchy available for R/W mounting under Linux, or just part of it (e.g. /home or something)?

In the former case: UFS1 support appears to have been dropped from the installer so, as @wblock already pointed out, you'll have to manually create the filesystem(s). Let us know if you need help with that.

In the latter case: if the filesystem you wish to access from Linux is anything except the root filesystem, you might be better off creating a separate partition, initially making it UFS2, backing it up (if the installation procedure puts anything in there, that is), re-running newfs(8) to create a UFS1 filesystem instead and (if necessary) restoring the contents.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because linux supports only UFS1 mount write.

No, Linux supports UFS2 read/write just fine, it's just marked as EXPERIMENTAL in the kernel configuration. The configuration variables for Linux can be shown like this:

Code:
mls:~$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep UFS
CONFIG_UFS_FS=y
CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE=y
# CONFIG_UFS_DEBUG is not set

Note that it is EXPERIMENTAL for a reason, and judging from outside the box, Linux UFS2 write support doesn't update all the FS structures. So if you write to UFS2 from Linux, be sure to have FreeBSD fsck the partitions before using them, preferably with the -y flag. In all cases I've seen, fsck updates the block counts that Linux didn't update, nothing more.

Still, having a shared junk partition would ultimately be a safer choice than having both systems write to the FreeBSD / over and over again. As much as "backups! backups! backups!" is a good motto, an accidental backup of a corrupted partition would probably be bad.

I forgot, the UFS2 read/write mount option goes something like this from Linux, if you have the UFS write support in your kernel:

[cmd=]mount -t ufs -o rw,ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/mount_point [/cmd]

mlsemon said:
I forgot, the UFS2 read/write mount option goes something like this from Linux, if you have the UFS write support in your kernel:

[cmd=]mount -t ufs -o rw,ufstype=ufs2 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/mount_point [/cmd]

Thanks for the tips. I will try if that works.

Back