install a pkg in an unsupported version of FreeBSD

I am still using FreeBSD 11.0. It is important that I use this version as it has some tools that are not supported in newer versions of FreeBSD.
I accidentally uninstalled nvidia-driver-340 and don't know how to reinstall it. I can't retrieve the pkg from the FreeBSD server for an unsupported version of FreeBSD.

If I have to reboot the system, I'm sure X windows won't start.
Can some one help me?

Install it from ports, you can use svnlite to checkout the RELENG_11_0_0 tag of the ports tree (it's still available through svn), that hopefully should be enough to build something as simple as nvidia-driver.

I am still using FreeBSD 11.0.
And: why?

Trying to somehow get updated packages for an EOL OS (just look at all the SAs that weren't fixed any more for 11.0!) is the wrong way around. What keeps you from upgrading? I'm pretty sure this can be solved.

Also suggestion: backup a machine like that that is hard to restore after you fatfinger something. Happens all the time.

kb6rxe As far as I know FreeBSD doesn't keep very old packages but I find a site that you can download the package you want (Link) and I think this is what you're looking for: nvidia-driver-340.
P.S. It's not a good idea to use old versions and try to use newer versions as soon as possible.

I have never used svnlite.
I looked over the documentation and don't know where to begin.
Can you give me more specific instructions?
Which FreeBSD server do I use?
Thanks.

Uhm....:
And: why?
May I ask what tools you use that's not available in the new versions?

I still say, better solve the underlying problem. There should never be a reason not to upgrade. If it's just concern you could break something, see what cracauer@ wrote. If it's about some (possibly closed-source) software, FreeBSD is backwards compatible, the GENERIC kernel includes compatibility down to FreeBSD 4, and for older userspace libs, there are ports/packages available like e.g. misc/compat11x. If it's something else, please just tell what "tools" you're missing and maybe we can help with that.

My favorite web browser is seamonkey. I also find gmixer useful.
You're aware those are (sorry: were) ports, and ports are completely independent from the base system?

They're removed for a reason. IIRC, the main reason for seamonkey was the dependency on python-2, which is already EOL for a long time (so keeping it is, among other problems, a security problem). I would expect it to be back in the tree when this issue (and maybe a few others? idk) is solved upstream.

But just keeping to use an ages old version of a web browser is probably one of the riskiest things you could do. You could try to build it yourself (I remember there was a thread about it). Or just use one of the alternatives as long as it can't be in ports.

BTW, only slightly related: This python story was a complete disaster. Python-3 had breaking changes that often weren't easily solved, and lots of software used python, quite often for their build system. Python-2 went EOL end of 2020(!), and still, lots of other projects depend on it. We still have lang/python27, although it should have been removed long since, first and foremost for security reasons. At least, the list of ports still needing it became pretty short by now. The process was painful, some ports are so widely used (like chromium and firefox, which also both depended on python-2, but at least this seems to be solved now) that you couldn't just remove them :rolleyes: Seamonkey was a different story, it never had that popularity. So, getting back to what I said earlier: Once upstream "catches up", I see no reason why Seamonkey shouldn't appear in ports again.

kb6rxe As far as I know FreeBSD doesn't keep very old packages but I find a site that you can download the package you want (Link) and I think this is what you're looking for: nvidia-driver-340.
P.S. It's not a good idea to use old versions and try to use newer versions as soon as possible.

I'm used to installing pkgs from the FreeBSD server.
How do I install a pkg from a local file?

Back