Initial Install (memory/hba)

I was wondering what the max supported memory configuration for FreeBSD 13.1 amd64? I am getting memory errors with 256G (RAM parity error) and yes I did a memory test and everything checks out.

In addition, from the supported hardware link the following HBA is supported:
  • Qlogic 2740/2742/2764 (aka 2722/2714)

Can I boot this from SAN as the LUN to install the OS will be SAN based (so no local storage)?

Thanks

I was wondering what the max supported memory configuration for FreeBSD 13.1 amd64?
as much as the hardware supports - i.e. there is no (realistically reachable) limit.

In addition, from the supported hardware link the following HBA is supported:
  • Qlogic 2740/2742/2764 (aka 2722/2714)

Can I boot this from SAN as the LUN to install the OS will be SAN based (so no local storage)?
Usually you configure the FC targets for OS installation it the controller BIOS, FreeBSD will happily use any LUN you have configured as an install medium, so yes, this will work.
It's been a while since I actively used FC on FreeBSD, both as initiator and target; but I can't remember of any issues/oddities, especially when only running as initiator (b/c there's no special configuration involved)

isp(4) will tell you which Qlogic cards are supported. My educated guess: All of them, perhaps excluding the very latest.

Wether you can boot from FC depends on your BIOS; once FreeBSD is loaded, its internal drivers (see above) can take over.

Back