ZFS Importing ZFS from FreeNAS and boot question

Hi everybody!

For the last 2 years or so I've been running FreeNAS. It created two ZFS pools for me, which I'm trying to export so I can use with 10.2 and ditch FreeNAS altogether. The issue I have is that one of the pools will just not import on 10.2 no matter what I try - the other one works fine. They are both version 28 of ZFS. Interestingly, if I boot FreeNAS (based on 9.2) both mount fine.

1. How does ZFS know what it needs to mount on boot and its parameters? (i.e., what's the equivalent of fstab for ZFS? Where is that information stored?)
  2. I can see several ".system" and "jails" child datasets inside of the pool that won't import - do I need to import these individually? To be honest, I don't want to keep any of those - just want the main dataset's data. I would ask at FreeNAS, but these forums seem much friendlier all in all.

Code:
zfs list -o name,mounted,sharenfs,mountpoint
NAME                                                        MOUNTED  SHARENFS  MOUNTPOINT
Stuff1                                                          yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1
Stuff1/.system                                                  yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1/.system
Stuff1/.system/cores                                            yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1/.system/cores
Stuff1/.system/samba4                                           yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1/.system/samba4
Stuff1/.system/syslog                                           yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1/.system/syslog
Stuff1/jails                                                    yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1/jails
Stuff1/jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-pluginjail      yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1/jails/.warden-template-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-pluginjail
Stuff1/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail                        yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1/jails/.warden-template-pluginjail
Stuff1/jails/minidlna_1                                         yes  off       /mnt/Stuff1/jails/minidlna_1
Stuff2                                                          yes  off       /mnt/Stuff2

I'm delighted to be back to proper FreeBSD after a very long absence - the last version I ran on a desktop was 4.2, many years ago.

Thanks,
- ank

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
How does ZFS know what it needs to mount on boot and its parameters? (i.e., what's the equivalent of fstab for ZFS? Where is that information stored?)
It's stored within ZFS itself. The mountpoint attribute.

Try importing the pool with altroot set. It's possible the import tries to mount on top of existing directories. Setting altroot will allow you to set a "base" directory.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
Back