I'm looking for a good USB controller 3.0,4 ports,self powered compatible with FreeBSD....

So 4 USB3.0 ports all fed by x1 Lane of PCIe.
Ridiculously underprovisioned.
Next post will be, Why is my USB3 so slow....

Regarding the vaccination and the covid : I agree with you,the risk of a bad side effect is tiny,but I don't want to take it. If the risk is tiny,some of the effects can have a very bad impact on health : I’m talking about blood coagulation problems, neurological problems, immune system failure, heart problems. No,thanks.
The risks of those effects are much, much larger if you get infected. Yes, you're staying out of the wind right now by staying at home. But there will come a time when all the restrictions are lifted and SARS-CoV-2 will be endemic. That's when you will get infected. And you will have NO protection whatsoever. No, Omicron isn't "mild" (It's only mild for people who've been vaccinated). It's milder than Delta, yes, but Omicron has about the same potency as Alpha, the first strain that started this whole ordeal. Talk to a real doctor and get yourself vaccinated. Seriously.

The risks of those effects are much, much larger if you get infected. Yes, you're staying out of the wind right now by staying at home. But there will come a time when all the restrictions are lifted and SARS-CoV-2 will be endemic. That's when you will get infected. And you will have NO protection whatsoever. No, Omicron isn't "mild" (It's only mild for people who've been vaccinated). It's milder than Delta, yes, but Omicron has about the same potency as Alpha, the first strain that started this whole ordeal. Talk to a real doctor and get yourself vaccinated. Seriously.

I will never have a lot of interactions with people. I never had them. I'm an introverted person who always goes with a few people and rarely goes out of my home. And I'm retired.

I've bought this cheap card model :

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/?th=1

I haven't still tested it.

Amazon.com: Inateck PCI-e to USB 3.0 (4 Ports) PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Red (KT4001) : Electronics

So 4 USB3.0 ports all fed by x1 Lane of PCIe.
Ridiculously underprovisioned. 𡀦…

Are these any better? <https://www.inateck.com/collections/pcie-card/redcomets-series> (The site seems to be flaky at the moment, maybe it will be better later.)

I'm an introverted person who always goes with a few people and rarely goes out.
It only takes one person. Heck, that person doesn't even need to be in the same room as you. It's an airborne virus. Those aerosols tend to hang around for a while in a badly ventilated room. You going into that room after an infected person spent some time in there will almost certainly get you infected too.

Amazon.com: Inateck PCI-e to USB 3.0 (4 Ports) PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Red (KT4001) : Electronics

Are these any better? <https://www.inateck.com/collections/pcie-card/redcomets-series> (The site seems to be flaky at the moment, maybe it will be better later.)

yes. I've already saw the red comet some time ago. it costs 50 dollars. It's too expensive for me. I dropped it and I've bought the KTU3FR-4P model.

I thought we established in another thread that 2 USB 3.0 ports needs more than x1 PCIe lane. Even with PCIe 3.0 lanes.

The theoretical transfer speed of USB 3.0 is 4.8 Gbit/s (600MBps) <<<< This is only one port

PCIe 3.0 x1 Lane Throughput= 0.985 GB/s (985MBps)

So for summary with this card you need 2400MBps and you are giving it 1000MBps with x1 Lanes.
All of these are max theoretical but 2.4 into 1 is pretty easy problem to recognize.

Would someone make a donation for a poor guy like me,who loves so much FreeBSD and that he wants to test always almost everything on this wonderful OS ? thanks :D

I will never have a lot of interactions with people. I never had them. I'm an introverted person who always goes with a few people and rarely goes out of my home. And I'm retired.
Your demographics are at a much higher risk of getting adverse effects if they're not vaccinated. This is why they get prioritized for vaccination.

I remember posting in another thread awhile ago, which also encouraged ziomario to get vaccinated. I also remember saying that this is a matter serious enough that it takes precedence over technical discussions. Unfortunately, another mod (not SirDice ) deleted those posts before SirDice essentially agreed with my point.

I also remember saying that this is a matter serious enough that it takes precedence over technical discussions.
I say this is a highly personal decision and we should not try to convince him.

That said, i think talking about Covid or vaccines should be considered political, therefore not allowed here.

I say this is a highly personal decision and we should not try to convince him.

That said, i think talking about Covid or vaccines should be considered political, therefore not allowed here.
I disagree on this being a highly personal issue:

Why did he bring it up, in a place as public as FreeBSD forums, in the first place, if it's something that personal? Gotta have some judgement about what you actually share on the Internet.

What me and SirDice are saying - I see that as part of the backdrop against which to consider the very idea of the vaccination push.

The very tweet you shared, eternal_noob says:
But, there are caveats.
The very statistics you quote - Academically valid statistical analysis would provide truckloads of reasons to vaccinate, and not fuss about the non-zero chance of bad side effects, which is what me and SirDice are saying.

I agree that getting vaxxed protects yourself (sometimes, depending on a lot of factors). But not others.
That's why i say it's a highly personal issue.

My last statement on that topic:

A week after the end of the festival, Cologne is seeing a sharp rise in the seven-day incidence rate of COVID infections — 56% higher than the national average.
The country's 2G+ rule, which requires a booster vaccination, double vaccination or proof of recovery along with a negative COVID test, was enforced.

Being vaxxed does not mean you can't
a. get it
b. spread it

Over and out. :what:

Being vaxxed does not mean you can't
a. get it
b. spread it
Yes, breakthrough infections can still happen (there is no 100% protection, no vaccine ever did). Yes, you are infectious when that happens. But both the risk of getting a breakthrough infection and the viral load when you are infectious are significantly reduced. You are also infectious for a shorter amount of time, reducing the overall viral load even more.

Because vaccinations never give 100% protection you need to combine a good vaccination strategy with other mitigating factors, like masks, social distancing, etc. You're not going to defeat SARS-CoV-2 with vaccinations alone.

Just like protecting your computers and networks isn't based solely on having a virusscanner installed. You take a layered approach. Firewalls, hardening, code audits, etc. are all part of the overall protection. And still networks and computers get infected. Funny how protecting from a computer "virus" works similar to protection against a real one.

You are linking to an ancient article which does not apply to Omicron. Things have changed since. See the Cologne incident.
All vaxxed, boostered and tested. Nothing was significantly reduced.

Other than this, i agree.

Don't get me wrong. I am pro vaxx but i think with Omicron this became a very personal issue.

(A counted infection incident) != (infection incident with severe consequences). Thanks to the fact that most were vaxxed, no deaths were recorded as fallout of that festival.

Back