I'm back at FreeBSD still no sound

Regarding TrueOS: PC-BSD, FreeNAS, NAS4Free, and all other FreeBSD Derivatives
Regarding -CURRENT: Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions

Code:
cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC255 (Internal Analog)> (play/rec) default
pcm1: <Realtek ALC255 (Front Analog Headphones)> (play)
pcm2: <Intel (0x2883) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
You have audio, the default is using the analog outputs. Where are your speakers attached to? If your speakers are built into the monitor you probably need to set hw.snd.default_unit. See 7.2.3. Troubleshooting Sound

Did you copy over a home dir from say a linux box? You may have some config files pointing to pulseaudio instead of oss. I had this happen once. Look for ~/.asoundrc and remove it if you see it. Maybe grep for files in home for the world "pulse". Just an idea.

Try:

dd if=/dev/random of=audiotest.rnd bs=1k count=200

cat ./audiotest.rnd > /dev/dsp0

Listen to determine whether or not you can hear noise. Note: stay away from the speaker, as it's likely to be loud if it works.

Hi,
If I'm not wrong snd_hda.ko is enabled by default and subsequently loaded in kernel together with some other sound drivers, as stated in sound(4).

Hence, trying to reload snd_hda(4) and verifying that it's already loaded in kernel, basically doesn't add any new hint to sort your issue out

Also, all modules which are by default resident in kernel, are not listed in kldstat(8) output.

In order to check out the proper driver to load, you may try first to identify your sound card, in order to determine whether or not the snd_hda.ko driver is the right one for you, by running:

cat /dev/sndstat

Your device should be associated to a pcmX device, where X is the number for your preferred sound card (usually 0/1). Now edit your /etc/sysctl.conf to assign the default output accordingly:
Code:
hw.snd.default_unit=X
, where X is the number of the device.
To prevent FreeBSD from resetting this value (system otherwise automatically assigns the default output to the best detected device), add also:
Code:
hw.snd.default_auto=0
. If you're sound card works, you can also set this value to 2, for system to associate sound output to the last attached device.

If your /dev/sndstat doesn't provide the info you whished for, and/or you're unsure about what driver to load, check first on man pages of drivers listed in sound(4), than if you really haven't found a proper answer, add:
Code:
snd_driver_load="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf, or simply kldload snd_driver for the current session.

[NOTE: snd_driver will load all out of the sound drivers available under FreeBSD, so shouldn't be set as default].

This should do the trick as we know that at least one driver supports your card (or at least one driver in CURRENT, as Minbari pointed out, since it worked on TrueOS).

Be also sure to not have enabled sndiod daemon in /etc/rc.conf, which could interfere with packages built by default with pulseaudio support.

Finally test your sound card with command:
cat [I]anyfile[/I] > /dev/dsp

or better test a mp3 file downloaded online with a program like audio/mpg123 or audio/cpp-xmms2.

Don't test sound with browsers, as they may have independent sound issues, unrelated to your sound card driver, which may be working well even if browser produces no audio

Be also sure to not have enabled sndiod daemon in /etc/rc.conf, which could interfere with packages built by default with pulseaudio support.
This is complete nonsense. PulseAudio and sndiod are completly different things. They do not interfere with each other. Like at all.

This is complete nonsense. PulseAudio and sndiod are completly different things. They do not interfere with each other. Like at all.
Sorry, I had misread a couple of recent threads and based my statement on them. I saw your comment in one of them where you argue about wide confusion among users and explain how the sound system works. Guess I was one of those users. Now I understand though, so thank you

Back