Other i3status not colorized

I installed x11-wm/i3 x11/i3status x11/i3lock x11/dmenu from ports.

I was trying to debug why i3status wasn't showing any colors. Here is my config file : http://paste2.org/618F2gyN

I was searching around and found a reddit thread, I lost the link to the thread but they said to add a general section but that didn't work. After that they recommend adding a line
Code:
output_format = "i3bar"

but that always generates this type of error after I refresh i3

Code:
ERROR: CONFIG: Line 175:
ERROR: CONFIG: Line 176: output_format = "i3bar"
ERROR: CONFIG:  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ERROR: CONFIG: Line 177: exec_always /usr/local/bin/feh -x --bg-scale '/home/blubee/Pictures/wallpapers/shore.jpg'
ERROR: FYI: You are using i3 version 4.12 (2016-03-06, branch "4.12")

I've tried removing the = or even getting rid of the quote marks but they still generate the error.

But without adding the code above, if I just go to the terminal ad run i3status, the output has colors!?

Has anyone else experienced this? Could there be something wrong with my configuration file?

This should be in the i3status config file found in you home directory ~/.config/i3status/i3status.conf

The section should look something like this:

Code:
general{
          output_foramt = "i3bar"
          colors = true
          color_good = "#202020"
          color_degraded = "#E5871F"
          color_bad = "#C83839"
          interval = 5
}

This should be in the i3status config file found in you home directory ~/.config/i3status/i3status.conf

The section should look something like this:

Code:
general{
          output_foramt = "i3bar"
          colors = true
          color_good = "#202020"
          color_degraded = "#E5871F"
          color_bad = "#C83839"
          interval = 5
}

There is no i3status folder under .config/ there's i3 and some other applications config files.

Also why would it be necessary to create that when if when I run i3status in the terminal, the colors are there but running it as a part of the overall i3 DE the colors aren't there?

If that file isn't there then it is using the default file in /usr/local/etc.

As for why it's not in color? I don't know but I know I've had that issue in the past and creating my own config in the home directory has always worked. The only part of the i3 config file that deals with the status bar is the bar section at the bottom and your's looks fine to me.

If that file isn't there then it is using the default file in /usr/local/etc.

As for why it's not in color? I don't know but I know I've had that issue in the past and creating my own config in the home directory has always worked. The only part of the i3 config file that deals with the status bar is the bar section at the bottom and your's looks fine to me.

You were right about it seeming to use the /etc/i3status.conf file I created one in /home/user/.config/i3status/i3status.conf which is basically a copy of the one from /etc and made the changes you suggested and a few others. You can see it here: http://paste2.org/cjnIMXM9

When I try to run i3status or at least reload the i3 the changes do not stick.

Then when I run
Code:
i3status -c /home/user/.config/i3status/i3status.conf
from the terminal I get an error
Code:
'no such option 'output_format'

removing the offending line and rerunning the same command, things work in the terminal as expected, with the configuration changes.

could it be an issue with the way i3 is calling i3status? When building and installing i3 from ports does the order of installation matter?

I remember I had i3 running a while ago before I had to wipe my machine and there was colors but not anymore.

I know that when I first install i3 and try to run the default configuration it always breaks and leave a half written .config/i3/conf file

Here is what my i3config file looks like, is it missing any major parts?

http://paste2.org/3H6FYO4n

In your paste bin i3status config you have:

output_foramt

Bad spelling.

I fixed the typo and reloaded but effects still are not taking a hold. It seems like i3 isn't loading my custom config it is actually only loading the config from
Code:
/usr/local/etc/i3status.conf
because I made some edits to that one reloaded and i3 loaded that config.

There is still no color though. Unless I run i3status in the terminal as a standalone command. Passing the -c flag and pointing to a custom configuration file also works 'in the terminal' but not through i3.

How are you starting i3? Only other thing I can thing to suggest is try passing the -V option to i3 on start, sending it to a log file and seeing if anything in there gives you a clue.

I start i3 from my .xinitrc and then i3 launches i3status, i3lock, dmenu etc.

Would you mind sharing your i3/confg file? Am I missing anything from the one that I shared a few posts up above?

Okay, I sorted it out.

Adding
Code:
output_format = "i3bar"
to the general section of the i3status.conf in
Code:

worked. I forget that in FreeBSD all user specific changes should be made in
Code:
/usr/local/
space....

roddierod thank you for giving me the hint to add output_format = "i3bar" to my config file.

[edit]
After a little more messing around I find that if I move the config file from
Code:
to
Code:
/home/user/.config/i3status/config

the file is read correctly also. I prefer to have configuration files in my home/.config/ directory so I put it all there.

Thanks again for the help.

Back