I want FreeBSD on a smart phone ...

When my provider obsoletes 3G I probably will not be able to buy a basic phone that works on their network pushing me into a "smart" phone and doubling my bill.
There exist basic phones which support 4G. Target has some on shelf.

Maybe it's time to build your own ;-)
I got a module from Quectel for $20, it contains, in particular, a quad-core CPU.

I'm still using a basic phone, but my time is short. When my provider obsoletes 3G I probably will not be able to buy a basic phone that works on their network pushing me into a "smart" phone and doubling my bill. Even if that weren't the case, it's getting harder and harder to find basic phones. I imagine they're on the endangered list about now.

Some of THESE and eventually THIS may work. :)

I don't know what other people do, but if you're going to use a basic cell phone, then I guess you'd have to carry a tablet or small laptop with you as well in order to get smart phone functionality. That's definitely doable and is a way to get that FreeBSD install.

Smart people do not need a smartphone. They even do not want to be an entry in smartphone address books.

Smart people say "Don't call me - we call you," which most of the times will never happen.

While slaves in ancient times had a certain degree of privacy, postmodern "slaves" carry a smartphone for being at disposal 24/7 and being put on virtual chains at least for generating continuous (meta)data.

And think of the huge mountains of not repairable smartphones while there are humans digging in deep earth holes for Rare Earth Elements. See the blood on your gadgets?

Rare Earth Elements. See the blood on your gadgets?
I don't own a smartphone myself, but Rare Earth Elements are not just for Smartphones... That's a rather truncated way of presenting the situation.

I don't own a smartphone myself, but Rare Earth Elements are not just for Smartphones... That's a rather truncated way of presenting the situation.

To be honest, the media over here would have you believing that only "smartphones" are being made and used today. Any actual computer you own, you should hand in for recycling so it can be sent to a 3rd world country to teach kids on...

There was even one advert; can't remember if it was Brexit related or some other commerce thing but they explicitly said that

this agreement would help us import and make more chips for smart phones

Wtf, what about chips for... just about anything else? haha. You can certainly tell what the consumer plebs have been made to want when this kind of oddly specific crap turns up.

I even hate the word "smart phone". Most of them don't even come with a sodding system C compiler! How can they possibly be smart if they can't be told how to be smart?

hukadan
your rather truncated way of picking citation used the very last line. Did you forgot the beginning of the sentence by accident or by intention?

Claiming contributions of others in a discussion truncated calls for a more elaborate posting from yourself.

Any actual computer you own, you should hand in for recycling so it can be sent to a 3rd world country to teach kids on...
A cynical narrative for shipping electronic waste to "3rd-world" countries" for "recycling" that happens in a dirty toxic way if ever. I don't even like the term "3rd-world". There is one earth only.

A cynical narrative for shipping electronic waste to "3rd-world" countries" for recycling that happens in a dirty toxic way if ever. I don't even like the term "3rd-world". There is one earth only.

I agree; it is just manipulative media crap.
The only true 3rd world I know is the UK's broadband situation. ;)

I don't know if you can call this "picking citation" when the whole post is just above for everyone to read. I am not a native speaker, but by saying "blood on your gadget", you seemed to specifically target Smartphones. Old computers also pile up in developing countries, so blood is on everyone's gadgets.

Isn't that thread about smartphones?
I thought this thread was about running FreeBSD on a Smartphone, not the supply chain for their fabrication. Let's agree to disagree on this (except for the 'I don't even like the term "3rd-world"' on which I agree).

I don't know what other people do, but if you're going to use a basic cell phone, then I guess you'd have to carry a tablet or small laptop with you as well in order to get smart phone functionality. That's definitely doable and is a way to get that FreeBSD install.

That's actually what I do now, I can "tether" my phone and get internet connectivity for the laptop through the phone network. So that's my "smart" phone, I use two devices, phone is just the modem. Though I have no idea how I would do that with FreeBSD, laptop runs Windows. I use a Desktop system for FreeBSD.

I even hate the word "smart phone". Most of them don't even come with a sodding system C compiler! How can they possibly be smart if they can't be told how to be smart?
Amen brother! A phone with a systemC compiler! This hardware wrecker would like that!

Learn the russian bad words!
Learning bad words in any language can be useful. For starters, it is sufficient to watch the “Despicable Me” and “Minions” movies. :)

I remember when I watched “Despicable Me” in German, one of the minions shouted “malaka!” at a person he didn't like. Turned out that it was the Greek word “μαλάκας” which means “Wichser” in German. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to translate that to English … I'm pretty sure that the Greek version of the movie does not use the Greek word in that scene.

On a related note: The German theme park “Europa-Park” (the second largest in Europe after Disneyland Paris) contains an attraction called “Cassandra's Curse”. During the ride you hear Cassandra's voice speaking in Greek language in a rather unfriendly manner … I do not speak Greek myself, but from the intonation it seems that she isn't talking about lovely things.

Sorry for off-topic, but I think that's more interesting than arguing about the curse of cell phones. ;)

olli@
Also nice - some things coming from marketing departments.
The Chevy Nova. Imagine you only speak spanish.
The Pajero, also a spanish slang word.
Why does the Audi ETron sell so bad in france?
And the list goes on...

Edit: w.r.t Nova, you will split that into No Va, which is the imperative of working/going/moving - prefixed with a negation.

Programming in C on an Android phone would be a thoroughly miserable experience. With the stock keyboard on my phone you need to tap three times to get a curly brace, a backslash, a percentage sign or a dollar.
Admittedly that's probably not why these devices have no compiler. They don't give you a compiler because you are Stupid.

EDIT: Next, the Smart Car?

We already have those ;)

Going down a fairly busy motorway in one of these tiny things is anything but smart XD
Yet you see people wizzing past you at 90mph+ in basically a glorified moped.
smart-car-being-driven-on-the-motorway-m62-in-huddersfield-AGFPKW.jpg

I ever wondered about what people live in smart homes?
Once upon a time you got a discount from your insurance when having an alarm system. Now "smart residents" face an extra charge.

Considering that I've yet to get Wifi to run on my Thinkpad with FreeBSD on it, I'm not sure if I'd really want FreeBSD on my phone :)

Back