I require some help to get DWM to Run

D

Deleted member 68898

I'm having problem porting my DWM config that I use for artix linux to FreeBSD.

You can review my work on Github here: https://github.com/Orgazination/bsdrice

I did the required changes in the config.mk files, it compiles without errors and my script is working as intended.
The problem comes when I do startx I get an error xauth missing. So I installed xauth after a reboot I am able to finally see everything but my keyboard and mouse aren't working. Being new to FreeBSD I don't know what I missed that's why I'm asking for help.

So I installed xauth after a reboot I am able to finally see everything but my keyboard and mouse aren't working.
Install and configure Xorg first. Then move onto adding a window manager.

Scared by the unholy amount of dependencies I opted for xorg-minimal then install setxkbmap and xrdb on their own and everything is now working.
Thank you very much for pointing me to the right direction.

That's certainly doable (I often use x11/xorg-minimal myself). Just be aware that some parts might be missing, it's a really barebones install. You can always install those "missing" parts (like x11/xauth) separately.

My script is working well now, tested it on a virtual machine, the only problem left is to make the brightness work for laptops.
I tried using xbacklight and I have put i915kms.ko in /etc/rc.conf accordingly but I get a "No outputs have backlight property" error.
I figured I had to install xrandr but I still get the same error. Am I missing another xorg sub-package?

Oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I already loaded acpi_video. My bad.

I tried to run sysctl hw.acpi.vdeo.lcd0 and it returned "unknwon oid 'hw.acpi.vdeo.lcd0'"

Ok, it's a fairly generic driver, not all laptops control the brightness in the same way. What's the brand/model of the laptop? There's also acpi_ibm(4), acpi_hp(4) and few others.

My laptop is a Asus FX753VD-GC201

I loaded and tried hw.acpi.asus only to recieve the same "unknown oid" error

I also installed intel-backlight it works but it really is a shame that I can't figure out acpi, my laptop's been burning on idle for nothing

I only made the typo here on the forum, I didn't give myself enough time to type

Back