I know I'm a nerd because....

Stolen from the Arch Forums, why do you know you're a nerd? ;)

• I own quite a few home-servers, networking gear, etc. but no rack to house it in.
  • I rent two VPS's, but neither of them will run BSD (they are OpenVZ :()
  • I use (and love) a tiling WM, but most people experience a big "what?!" moment when I show them.
  • I live for learning new things; This includes programming languages, logic, networking stuff (I know how to subnet, know the Ethernet color code, etc)
  • I own some old stuff that 'normal' people would throw away, like a 750Mhz computer, which runs Arch+WMII+Synergy.
  • I would do anything for a dual-monitor setup, but don't want to spend money on another video card :p.
  • I want to learn how to play nethack over Christmas break.
  • I am hoping to have at least 300 posts on here by the new year. :D

killasmurf86 said:
that last sentence explains quite a lot. lol

What's that supposed to mean? :(, I try to keep my posts short, but to the point and informative or opinionated. I don't just post for the heck of it, so what does it matter?

Nah, didn't offend me, was just curious because I try to keep my posts sane/informative/etc. I don't generally post one-or-two word responses.

Beastie said:
750Mhz is old? You're kidding me, right?

In this society, no, 750mhz is old. Go ask everyone in my high school how fast their computer is. Sans the 95% that will have no clue, I doubt any of the remaining 5% will say anything less than 2ghz.

Anyway; lets here some of your nerdities.

• I have a 39U 19" rack in my corridor
  • I run some ~13 yrs old server system
  • My bills for electricity are ~5 times as high, as energy providers estimate for a normal 'household'

mickey said:

• I have a 39U 19" rack in my corridor
  • I run some ~13 yrs old server system
  • My bills for electricity are ~5 times as high, as energy providers estimate for a normal 'household'

Me too! Although I've yet to get my hands on a rack.

I have a plethora of machines here, rarely need to use the heater in the winter time too. Summer sucks though :(.

CodeBlock said:
Stolen from the Arch Forums, why do you know you're a nerd? ;)

- I own quite a few home-servers, networking gear, etc. but no rack to house it in.
- I rent two VPS's, but neither of them will run BSD (they are OpenVZ :()
- I use (and love) a tiling WM, but most people experience a big "what?!" moment when I show them.
- I live for learning new things; This includes programming languages, logic, networking stuff (I know how to subnet, know the Ethernet color code, etc)
- I own some old stuff that 'normal' people would throw away, like a 750Mhz computer, which runs Arch+WMII+Synergy.
- I would do anything for a dual-monitor setup, but don't want to spend money on another video card :p.
- I want to learn how to play nethack over Christmas break.
- I am hoping to have at least 300 posts on here by the new year. :D

I have6 servers in my house, not including VM's.

I have 2 dedicated servers in a collocation centre 1 FreeBSD an 1 Windows.

I can't stand not knowing something, I read read and read and I am always doing at least two home study qualifications, atm Network+ (recert) and at the moment my other one is a Military law degree (I am a army reserve member {TA if you want to be technical})

I collect old computers or parts of, I have a wheel from a enigma machine (Granddad traded it from a polish soldier during the war for a Luger and some tinned rations) but the oldest microprocessor I have is a Intel 8080 in a trade display mount.

I have a single 28in 1080p monitor on this machine but if you count the ones I have in the shop I have a 8 monitor workstation 2 of them are 32in TV's I have displaying stuff I am selling in my shop window.

On a privet invite security forum I have over 20K posts, it's a local only forum and most of it is arranging what pub to meet up in or a description of what is what when it comes to local issues like sourcing spair parts at a decent rate that day etc.

I am a massive SciFi fan not Starwars or StarTrek but the intelligent stuff or one off books.

I am a Zombie film buff.

I also write my own books not fan fiction but my own work, I hope to some day see my Proxima book published, it's a odd story and would take 3 pages to explain but I will post a sample here some time.

I run a Industrial / Goth night in my town.

I also play at said night with my own group, being multi lingual helps as I can sing in more than one language and we covered a Spanish band recently.

Voltar said:
Me too! Although I've yet to get my hands on a rack.

I have a plethora of machines here, rarely need to use the heater in the winter time too. Summer sucks though :(.

Actually it's two racks, there's another 15U rack under my desk, where my workstation lives in :stud

Heater is just unnecessary equipment.

mickey said:

Do you get visits from police department to check if you are not growing cannabis at home? :D

Did someone say rack?

Bought the large DL380 for a machine to use to remote in with my phone some yrs ago, then once I got it home, and plugged it in, I then realized how loud rackmounts are.

Soon wanted exchange pushmail for the same mobile phone, so I bought the drive array, and built the 5 1U's for a load balanced front end, and a clustered back end. Completely overkill, and ridiculously noisy.

Stuck it in a relatives basement..never cold down there anymore, can still hear it through the floor. Been debating lately on getting rid of it all, and just buying a 64 bit tower, with SATA RAID 5+, and running exchange on it instead, but I havent a clue what I would do with all of this leftover.

Anyhow, I dunno if I would call myself a nerd, I just like to learn new stuff that interests me. A little old, and a little new.

I'm not a nerd. I don't have a social anxiety disorder, my therapist said. So I'm a geek :p

Dru said:
Did someone say rack?

Nice Rack!

SirDice said:
I'm not a nerd. I don't have a social anxiety disorder, my therapist said. So I'm a geek
Me too!

Being a geek I keep a 500Mhz PIII ThinkPad running OpenBSD under my bed just in case. My wife always unplugs it which is irratating when I have to wait for it to boot up in the middle of the night.

I have 2 Alpha Servers in the basement and I want more and I can't wait for DEC to rise from the dead...

CodeBlock said:
In this society, no, 750mhz is old. Go ask everyone in my high school how fast their computer is. Sans the 95% that will have no clue, I doubt any of the remaining 5% will say anything less than 2ghz.

Anyway; lets here some of your nerdities.

What most "average joe/jane" computer users don't take into account is power saving and CPU throttling. A standard 2ghz dual-core can be throttled down to ~900mhz when on battery power. This is configured automatically on most out-of-the-box machines.

My eee PC (701, 8GB model) is clocked at 600mhz. It can be overclocked to 900mhz, but with my mugen battery if I stay in the 600mhz range I average 7hrs of battery life under normal use.

I wouldn't want to do any real heavy work on it, but for daily tasks its fine. I have even been doing my C++ homework on this machine with no trouble. FreeBSD + fluxbox/conky is awesome on this tiny beast. I doubt it would run Vista very well, though.

Anyway, I'm a geek. I still have an Amiga 500, 1200 and 4000. I also have 2 C-64s, a ZX-Spectrum and an Apple IIgs.

funny-picture-450961003.jpg

Not quite my home... yet! :e

Back