I could use some help compiling xorg for my iBook G4

Even if NetBSD would be better in the long run, I couldn't figure out the stuff on their site. Where is the install ISO? Not there, it seems. So no, too complicated for me.

I'm quite liking setting up FreeBSD. Though I think I will surrender if this attempt at XOrg fails. It currently reads "1252/4888", so, it's like a quarter done. It's been compiling all day, so, I guess I can expect a few more days, at this rate.

60 hours+ to compile XOrg is a sobering reality (llvm80 being the big dependency). So, even if successful, it means a future of time consuming upgrades awaits. Regarding NetBSD, apparently there is an img file, but heaven help anyone who tries to find it on their unintuitive website. I discovered that here: http://bgafc.t-hosting.hu/oses4ppc.php

After thirty hours, it's just over halfway done (2580/4888).

60 hours+ to compile XOrg is a sobering reality (llvm80 being the big dependency). So, even if successful, it means a future of time consuming upgrades awaits. Regarding NetBSD, apparently there is an img file, but heaven help anyone who tries to find it on their unintuitive website. I discovered that here: http://bgafc.t-hosting.hu/oses4ppc.php

After thirty hours, it's just over halfway done (2580/4888).
Yes their web site is rather horrid. If you're disinclined to 'get your hands dirty' with an OS then understandably NetBSD won't be for you; but at least it has compiled packages for your platform. ;)
Short term pain, long term gain.

Around seventy hours. llvm80 took the longest time. Then there were a few others after that needed installing (py-mako, mesa-libs, mesa-dri). I'm now looking to get Fluxbox going on it. The installation of Leafpad is taking a while, since various dependencies need to be satisfied (like CUPS).

Hi,

Regarding Perl5-5.30, I get the same error than MarkG108 (except that my current version is (5.30.1) instead of (5.30.0) for MarkG108).

On my machine, building fails
- when using portupgrade
- when building with 'make install clean'
=> I've created a PR (I think it should work out of the box) : PR 245163

Regarding compilation time for ports, yes it took aaages for gcc9, llvm80 and xorg, but it worked !

Regarding WM, I tried few of them, but I know almost nothing related to WM config, so I just tried them out of the box. Most troubles I had are probably easy to fix, but I didn't tried, and I'm not planning to try soon.

- fluxbox compiles OK, but has a weird behaviour with my trackpad
- icewm works fine
- dwm works fine
- lxqt crashs and got back ton console
- windowmaker crashs and got back ton console

A while ago, I tried to install xfce, but some dependencies fail to build
I opened a PR for that : PR 243742

The trackpad didn't work at all in the iBook G4 until I added the following to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/atp0"
And yes, in Fluxbox (which I chose to go with) the two-finger tap (Mac version of "right-click") did not give the menu -- instead it only gave the option to change workspaces. A regular mouse works fine, though, and I'll simply put a menu option on the keybindings.

Back