I can't turn my brain off.

• Thread starter Deleted member 76788
  • Start date
Why is this so? What happens?
Alex Seitsinger : You seriously are unaware of alcohol consumption laws in the Arab part of the world? Qatar had to make an exception for the 2022 World Cup. BTW, I think that Crivens meant to write "Riyadh"...

If I'm of use to people then they might depend on me, then if I can't sustain usefulness harm will come to them and I will be responsible. I can do things in isolation and I always do when opportunities arise but I can't be depended on.
Now THAT is gaslighting by others. If people want to depend on you, tell them that you want something in return. It's only fair, I think. My thinking goes, it would be good to learn to manage that kind of back-and-forth, set your own terms, see what's palatable to you, see what's palatable to the other person. Sometimes people get offended by the idea of horse trading - and I've seen more than my fair share of stories where you give an inch, and they take a mile.
I'm afraid to ever reach out to them because the sheer extent of my interpersonal needs will scare them off. I can't give what I need, so I wouldn't be welcome in any "tribe". I'd be a drain.
I think that bakul 's advice to find an "online tribe" is pretty spot-on. These Forums are a great example of one such "tribe". The primary aim of the FreeBSD forums is to provide a quality place to exchange technical info - primarily related to FreeBSD, of course. But no, we don't exactly expect everyone to be a coder or an expert in something. One doesn't need to have an active project on Github to participate in these Forums. If you have technical expertise to share, that's great, but if not, that's OK.

These Forums also put in some effort to have some rules so that we're not the Wild West like Discord. These rules make it possible to have a civil conversation - yeah, it's with a FreeBSD slant, and we do tell ppl to refer to the User Handbook.

I guess I'd like to suggest to OP that they find something to do that they can be good at and take pride in being good at it... it doesn't even matter what exactly - it can even be cooking. I personally have a few dishes myself that I know I'm good at making. Oh, and I'm good at picking out a watermelon, BTW, something I do take pride in.

Many Islamic countries have very strict bans on alcohol and alcohol consumption. Being drunk could land you in jail or severe (corporal) punishment.
Strictly speaking this is funny, because use of hashish is stuff of legends in the Arab world, it featured very prominently in historic armed conflicts in the area, and being high on the stuff (unlike being under influence of alcohol) was not exactly a sin back then. In the Western world, stories like Sindbad the Sailor and 1001 Nights are the source of most of such legends...

Discipline is better than motivation, it doesn't depend on mood.
For starters, make your bed, perfectly, when you get up.
No matter how your day goes from there, this is an accomplishment nobody can take from you.
Next, pick up clutter... any amount, just put away SOMETHING.

These discipline habits build upon themselves and give a sense of well-being.
Start small, but be consistent

How did we end up talking about the Arab world for an Australian? 🤪

From alcohol arose mention of Islamic countries, then Arabic, but the largest Islamic nation by population is Indonesia, visited by many Australians - some of whom have fallen foul of alcohol prohibitions, particularly in some provinces.

Now that you mention it, in a documentary I remember seeing that certain regions had a monthly quota of units for the purchase of beer, and it's expensive. Am I wrong?

Now that you mention it, in a documentary I remember seeing that certain regions had a monthly quota of units for the purchase of beer, and it's expensive. Am I wrong?

$search 'indonesia alcohol 2023' for fairly good coverage. Seems there's a bit more tolerance lately, except for Aceh.

I'm not a doctor but the problem is never the alcohol it's the ones who don't know when to stop.
If some eat too much chocolate will probably get diarrhea, it's practically the same with alcohol but here the affected organ is the brain.
So when someone consume too much of something will probably get sick.
People must to know when to stop.
I prefer nature to relax and camping is great.
Need to plan place, trip and food and during the day there are several basic micro tasks and that feeling of accomplishment at each task that gets done.
I use to camp mostly during summer.
Practice sports if you can also helps to break monotony if you don't enjoy camping.
It's good for health and it helps to keep your mind away from other things, it also helps to get a good night sleep.
Anyway this is not a professional advice, I'm not a doctor.

If some eat too much chocolate will probably get diarrhea, it's practically the same with alcohol but here the affected organ is the brain.
Well, another major difference is that you can get a physical dependency on alcohol. But both influence the brain actually. Chocolate stimulates blood flow, releases dopamine (the "happy" neurotransmitter) and activates the "pleasure" receptors. I always have some chocolate in the fridge (yes, I keep chocolate in the fridge, sue me), don't need it but still want it. Pretty much daily. I like chocolate. Technically, I'm probably addicted to it.

People must to know when to stop.
People with ADHD are prone to addictive behavior. With anything and everything.

Practice sports if you can also helps to break monotony if you don't enjoy camping.
It's good for health and it helps to keep your mind away from other things, it also helps to get a good night sleep.
Just go for a walk, or a run. Doesn't matter. Simple enough, anyone can do it. As long as you're out and about.

I always have some chocolate in the fridge (yes, I keep chocolate in the fridge, sue me), don't need it but still want it. Pretty much daily. I like chocolate. Technically, I'm probably addicted to it.
I store it in the fridge too, it's the best way to avoid it getting melt, but the idea is that I will not risk eating huge amounts of it or else the toilet will turn into a temporary office.
one of my daily pleasures is to savor an expresso coffee while eating a piece of dark chocolate 70% (or more) cocoa. awesome combination.

Don't get the runs, I do get a splitting headache if I eat too much. And yeah, dark chocolate, always. Don't like milk chocolate, never did, even as a kid.

There is no scientific evidence supporting the claims made by NLP
Who cares, as long as it works?
$search 'indonesia alcohol 2023' for fairly good coverage. Seems there's a bit more tolerance lately, except for Aceh.
Most of Indonesia was absolutely no problem when I was there (~2005). You won't get beer in some muslim-run shops, but then it's great fun drinking (so-called) "palm-wine" with the locals...

Conserning the OP: alcohol is NOT a solution for mental problems, it's something to have fun with when you're already in good shape.

rmomota It's been far too long since I was camping. I do remember enjoying it greatly and feeling at ease. Logistically difficult now though. I can't drive and I have no one to go with.
One can go alone, and one can go by foot. It's called "vision quest", and while I never did it with that intention, I happened to have two-days walks (with backpack and tent) thru mostly deserted land, and that has an interesting effect on the mind.

Back