I am a completely new user and need your help

I have windows experience and some Linux experience as well . I want to use freeBSD . I dont know how to install it as it uses text base installer . I want it for desktop use .
suggest me where to download ISO for CD and how to install it .

what is minimum hardware requirement for desktop version . With your help I can part of this wonderful community .

I dont know how to install it as it uses text base installer
As killasmurf86 said see the handbook for that.
I want it for desktop use
Also see http://www.pcbsd.org/
suggest me where to download ISO for CD
http://www.freebsd.org/where.html
and how to install it
Handbook :D
What is minimum hardware requirement for desktop version.
I guess pentium 4 with 512 RAM should be ~ the minimal for a Desktop PC. If you want to use KDE then probably you will need more RAM. 2 Giga should be fine :)

pbi ain't that bad...
I will probably use them to distribute entire desktop environment across desktop and laptop. It's much easier, that using gazillion small packages.
Updates might also be faster :D (delete old pbi, install new one instead delete old [or outdated] packages and install new ones)

asifnaz said:
I have windows experience and some Linux experience as well . I want to use freeBSD . I dont know how to install it as it uses text base installer.

What does that mean? A text mode installer isn't just random letters, it's words that tell you what to do.

I want it for desktop use .
suggest me where to download ISO for CD and how to install it .

PC-BSD.

sk8harddiefast said:
I guess pentium 4 with 512 RAM should be ~ the minimal for a Desktop PC. If you want to use KDE then probably you will need more RAM. 2 Giga should be fine :)

I have FreeBSD 8.1 with KDE4-4.4.5 running on pentium 4 with 512 MB RAM as my desktop at home. No problem! :)

At work I have the same configuration, but 1 Giga RAM. There is no noticeable difference in performance.

If you open kdenlive, firefox, amsn, audacious and 3-4 terminals your computer with 512 RAM can respond just fine? If yes then 512 is ok. I don't Use KDE so I cannot tell for sure.

asifnaz said:
what is minimum hardware requirement for desktop version .

Depends on what you want out of a desktop. With a fairly basic xorg + evilwm + dillo + rxvt (trust me, you won't like it one bit) you can run it on the most basic hardware FreeBSD supports (80486 with 64M of RAM and about 500M of disk space).

A P4 with 512M o' RAM won't run KDE worth a boiled green bean, but then a 3GHz quad core 64 bit monster with 12G of RAM doesn't run KDE as fast as an old 80386 running windows 3.11.

I actually have a stupid little local desktop box running FreeBSD 4.7 on an Intel Celeron @ 200MHz with 32MB of ram and a 20 GB hard disk, the hardware is circa 1995.

This is NOT an X-Client box -- it is a CLI only little backup dev server... I only keep it around because I like running FreeBSD on the hardware equivalent of a pocket-calculator...

This little box, while a bit sluggish for Unix, definitely runs circles around my 3GHz Athlon-XP's with 4G of ram and a Windows O/S... It consistently runs postgreSQL, Apache, and Samba all at the same time!

As for my "main" development servers and the public facing web server pool: They are all running FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE with AMD Athlon 3200's, 2G of ram, 2 * 120G primary ATA's [O/S] and 2 * 500G SATA's [storage]. The hardware is pretty much 5 years old but as a web server: these babies ROCK...

so truth be told: the entry-level requirements really aren't that steep at all...

But remember: These are not GUI machines... they are FreeBSD based web-servers...

fronclynne said:
(...) but then a 3GHz quad core 64 bit monster with 12G of RAM doesn't run KDE as fast as an old 80386 running windows 3.11.

Well, KDE on my 2.8 GHz dual core 64-bit thing with 3 GB of RAM does run KDE faster than Virtual Box runs Windows 3.11 on the same machine.

It's not as fast as OpenBox, mind you, but perfectly usable still.

sk8harddiefast said:
If you open kdenlive, firefox, amsn, audacious and 3-4 terminals your computer with 512 RAM can respond just fine? If yes then 512 is ok. I don't Use KDE so I cannot tell for sure.

Obviously, young people require more, and do more multitasking than an old guy like me. :\
I don't use kdenlive, firefox, amsn or audacious, so I can't tell how well it would work when all of those are running simultaneously. But I did a simple "stress test": Running Kmail, Korganizer, Opera with 3 tabs, playing a video from youtube and had four terminals open. Still, the response time was not that bad: Opera opened web pages in 4 - 10 seconds, depending on the amount of flashing advertisements. (Normal time from 3 - 5 seconds with less load on the machine.) Switching from one window/desktop to another was without any delay. Yotube played nicely without any lagging.

fronclynne said:
A P4 with 512M o' RAM won't run KDE worth a boiled green bean

Well, mine serves me well! By the way, what is the worth of a boiled green bean nowadays?:p

Back