Hyprland error

Hi,

I have followed the instructions to install freebsd and hyprland, but the latter does not start. It does not start automatically and also not when I run "Hyprland". In this case I get the following error message:

Found 0 GPUs, cannot create backend
Failed to open any DRM device

And in the log, the last line says:

Critical error thrown: wlr_backend_autocreate() failed!

I have read messages on the internet about this type of error, but none of them have been helpful.

Any help?

I think so.

I have restarted the computer and now the session manager window starts, asking for the password, but neither the mouse nor the keyboard responds.
Ensure there isn't another display manager running at the same time.

Comment out any lightdm/gdm/sddm/xdm lines in /etc/rc.conf that you aren't aware you are using.

I went throw many surprise errors as well and finally Hyprland works very well with no issue for me. I think you should try one by one, for example, not use SDDM first, just launch hyprland in tty console. Here is my launch script, then you can easy to find the problem in the log (extra log will be inside the ~/.hyprland~ folder and that should be mentioned in ~/.hyprland.log~ if it launch fails:

Bash:
#!/bin/sh

rm -rf /var/run/user/`id -u`/*
rm -rf ~/.hyprland.err ~/.hyprland.log
Hyprland --config ~/.config/hypr/hyprland.conf 2>~/.hyprland.err >~/.hyprland.log

My doc is here, maybe you find something useful:

When I launch Hyprland from command line I get error messages:

Found 0 GPUs, cannot create backend. Failed to open any DRM device

Creating X11 (?) backend backend/x11/backend.c: 4091 Failed to open xcb connection

Added client 1 on seat0 Opened client 1 on seat0 No clients on seat0 Closed client 1 on seat0 Removed client 1 from seat0 Client disconnected

When I launch Hyprland from command line I get error messages:

Found 0 GPUs, cannot create backend. Failed to open any DRM device

Creating X11 (?) backend backend/x11/backend.c: 4091 Failed to open xcb connection

Added client 1 on seat0 Opened client 1 on seat0 No clients on seat0 Closed client 1 on seat0 Removed client 1 from seat0 Client disconnected
I remember I saw those Added client 1 on steat0... stuff before, but if you enable and run the seatd then should be no problem. I think the first thing for you to check is the GPU (did you load your CPU driver in /etc/rc.conf inside kld+=...)?

Feel freel to have a look at my another chatper https://github.com/wisonye/freebsd-handbook/blob/master/chapters/install-gpu-drivers.org if don't familiar with the GPU driver, may help:)

One more thing, you have to MAKE SURE your user is in video group, this marks in the official FreeBSD handbook (Wayland chatper):
users of Wayland will need to be members of the video group.

All my chapters post above just a short version summarise after I went through the FreeBSD handbook and plus my personal experience after a few failures...:)

With sddm the login window does not enable the mouse or the keyboard and therefore I cannot do anything.

With gdm, I get an error message and can't do anything either.

With ly, it doesn't even show me the login window. If I run it from the terminal it does show that window, but it does not start hyprland.

I have seatd enabled in rc.conf. And my user is in the "video" group (and wheel).

There is an issue that may have something to do with it. I have installed freebsd on an iMac computer (I also have Linux installed). For freebsd to work I have to install the scfb driver, but it is installed in one of the X Windows folders. Could this have something to do with it? The graphics card is Intel.

I am perplexed. It doesn't say there that you have to run startx or use .xinitrc to start hyprland. El comando startx es para iniciar X, no Wayland.

In any case, I've already got it. I don't use any login manager. After entering the username and password, I used the script suggested at https://wiki.hyprland.org/Getting-Started/Quick-start/.

I am perplexed. It doesn't say there that you have to run startx or use .xinitrc to start hyprland. El comando startx es para iniciar X, no Wayland.

In any case, I've already got it. I don't use any login manager. After entering the username and password, I used the script suggested at https://wiki.hyprland.org/Getting-Started/Quick-start/.
Like I mentioned in my reply, you dont' need any login manager, you don't need X (as you're using wayland), the script I pasted there just run Hyprland in tty console after you booted FreeBSD did a login in. No any startx or .xinitrc needed except you want to go back to X:)

Btw, from the GPU you listed there, I assume that you're running FreeBSD on a iMac 2017 (or simular year, Radeon RX 570/580 (Polaris 20)), right? If YES, then I wonder how it runs? as that's what I want to do as well:)

I've already tried OpenBSD on MacBookPro 2015, iMac 2019 (without T2 chip), nothing wrong except the WIFI (OpenBSD doesn't support bluethood as well), I doubt that you can have WIFI works well on FreeBSD (as OpenBSD wifi driver still a bit better I think, the current FreeBSD I'm 14 stable WIFI driver still
only supports 802.11 a/b/g modes, slow but acceptable)

Back