Hp p1006

Hi all,

I'm having a devil of a time getting my printer to work with CUPS. It's an HP LaserJet P1006, and although I think that I've got all of the appropriate drivers installed (foo2xqx from print/foo2zjs), CUPS can't print a test page. I can upload the appropriate firmware and the printer responds, CUPS can find the printer, but when I send a sample page the system simply does nothing. No hangs or panics, but it doesn't print anything. Does anyone else use this printer? Thanks in advance!

Have you taken a look at the CUPS error log located at /var/log/cups/error_log ?

Usually that might send you in the right direction for troubleshooting. You can turn up the log level by editing the /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf file to debug... E.g...

Code:
LogLevel debug

Then restart CUPS...

Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart

It's possible you may have to install the ghostscript package and maybe foomatic-filters. I don't know if the foo2zjs port installs them. It might. I'm not sure.

Check the error log and see what is happening.

These are both good tips; thanks! In the end, I should have obeyed my first rule of *NIX troubleshooting, i.e., "It's probably a permissions problem." Changing /etc/devfs.rules to set the cups group for a couple of additional devices made all the difference, and now I'm happily printing from computers all over the network. Thanks again!

Back