Howto Nvidia Drivers from Nvidia Inc

Hi

For installing the newest Nvidiadrivers without Ports, downloaded form http://nvidia.com is there a Howto available?
The Drivers from Ports seems doesn't support NVIDIA SLI setups.

best regards
Darko Hojnik

AFAIK, the driver in ports is the same driver as on the site; the port downloads that driver from the NVIDIA site and installs it 'in the FreeBSD way' and make sure it plays nicely with X.Org's 'competing' drivers. It's a binary blob, nothing to change.

So I have to edit the Makefile? The driver from the Nvidia Site is newer then the Driver from the Ports

minimike said:
So I have to edit the Makefile? The driver from the Nvidia Site is never then the Driver from the Ports

nvidia has documentation on their site. Is there a reson you feel the need to not use the driver in the ports?

Disregarding ports, one could (while not in X):
$ tar -xzf NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-260.19.04.tar.gz
$ cd NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-260.19.04
$ make
$ su
# kldunload nvidia
# pkg_delete $(pkg_info -E nvidia-driver\*)
# make install
# exit
$ make clean

If you don't want to leave X, skip the kldunload and restart your PC / X afterwards

It's really advisable to do this within the ports system to keep versioning intact.

Code:
nvidia-driver-256.53                >   succeeds index (index has 195.36.15)

This will at least signal the installed version vs the ports version.

Apparently NVIDIA no longer consider the 64-bit drivers 'BETA'. The red line is gone from the splash screen.

Ok guy's
I have installed the driver with "make setup"
They is working propper and two way SLI is working now. On Windows I am using two Cards with SLI and the third card onboard of the Mainboard is calculating PhysX only. Maybe we will get them in the future. Anybody here who knows about CUDA will work on FreeBSD?

best regards
Darko

Back