[howto] Minimal FreeBSD desktop

Hi FreeBSD lovers,
I am on current r278361 and I've used this how to.
I am facing a problem: When I launch opera I get this message:
Code:
Error locating 'readfile' - Shared object "libsupc++.so.1" not found, required by "libstdc++.so.6"
The browser seems to start up normally but it display some of the web pages that I am trying to browse.
How can I resolve this error?

This is my installation instruction set for a FreeBSD desktop, can someone go through it and tell me if it's fine or needs some edits? It worked for FreeBSD 10.0 but maybe need someone to check it for 10.1

Attachments

• scan1.JPG
    scan1.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 615
  • scan2.JPG
    scan2.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 671
/etc/rc.conf :
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
#hald_enable="YES"  #comment out this line, after FreeBSD 10.1
/etc/fstab :
Code:
devfs   /dev   devfs   rw   0   0  #This option may not be necessary
fdesc   /dev/fd   fdescfs   rw   0   0
I don't think the dev modules have to be loaded, since it is native to FreeBSD.
The manpage says devfs(5) and fdescfs(5) automatically mount /dev and /dev/fd , if the mounts aren't specified. devfs.conf(), devfs.rules()
If you were asking about devfs.

Last edited:
EDIT Possible Solution
I looked at the .jpg images a few posts above and saw the $ for a few commands which from what I read is a regular user. The # means as root.

When do you switch back to the root user? (I am assuming he means just the scripts below where it says to do so then switch right back)

What is the last line I run as a regular user?

Thank you for the help!

What is the last line I run as a regular user?
You need to understand when to use a root account or get root permissions with su -. This is usually the case when you do (base)system related work in contrast to running userland applications. Never run Xorg as root.
So when you want to install ports or you have to edit configuration files you probably need to have root permissions. Do not get used to run root all the time, only do it when it is required and this requirement is being told to you by the system when it refuses to run normal user's commands.

Thank you so much for this guide. I finally was able to have a desktop with FreeBSD Current, slim login manager and Lumina-DE.

Just wonder why do you guys who're not familiar with the OS need to run CURRENT and not a RELEASE? It's not exactly the best one for those willing to try FreeBSD...

Taz, just like to give you my sincere thanks for the guide. i have used the setup described for a number of years and love openbox wbar tint2 etc. its a fantastic combination. The ..i use this program or i use that program is arbitrary, as the base system is absolutely wonderful.
Once again i would like to thankyou for helping me make the switch from linux to freebsd many years ago and never look back. its order, its structure and most importantly its ports make me feel i have a complete operating system without stuffing about with repositories and garbage overload with solutions to problems faced with linux.

Marko

Just wonder why do you guys who're not familiar with the OS need to run CURRENT and not a RELEASE?
Hardware support. Many users coming from Linux are used to good hardware support so if they come here and their platform is broke they will revert back to Linux, whereas with -CURRENT at least they can learn, even if on a testing version. I agree with your sediment it is more a hardware thing I beleive.
Xorg on -CURRENT has the most hardware support, even if in development.

Maybe its the new car phenomenon.

Yep, the current Xorg implementation requires that the kernel implements the KMS (kernel mode switch ) and DRM (direct rendering mode) services. This means that the actual hardware support is no longer solely dependent on the Xorg port as it used to be but also on the FreeBSD version. Without this change we would be stuck with a very ancient version of Xorg that would have no support for any of the modern video cards.

Hardware support. Many users coming from Linux are used to good hardware support so if they come here and their platform is broke they will revert back to Linux, whereas with -CURRENT at least they can learn, even if on a testing version. I agree with your sediment it is more a hardware thing I beleive.
Xorg on -CURRENT has the most hardware support, even if in development.

Maybe its the new car phenomenon.
Ah, of course. Well, I must admit I've never run into any problems with CURRENT which I've been using on 3 machines, I think, since the time 10.1 appeared.

Ah, of course. Well, I must admit I've never run into any problems with CURRENT which I've been using on 3 machines, I think, since the time 10.1 appeared.
User Murph has wisely pointed out the possible problems of using -CURRENT including possibly broken security features(due to development).
I would not use -CURRENT on any directly connected internet machine.
I get brave behind pfSense. Good to have layered security.
I do agree with your sediment wholeheartedly. Somebody has to test though. Who better than someone with a broken config.

User Murph has wisely pointed out the possible problems of using -CURRENT including possibly broken security features(due to development).
I would not use -CURRENT on any directly connected internet machine.
I get brave behind pfSense. Good to have layered security.
I do agree with your sediment wholeheartedly. Somebody has to test though. Who better than someone with a broken config.
What, even behind PF firewall with all incoming connections blocked?

What if pf is broke while in development?
Probably not the case but something to keep in mind.
Maybe I am way off base here but it is just a 'testing version'. It could happen.

I hate to lecture people for sure. I feel like later on in the life of FreeBSD 11 (when it was -CURRENT) things were settled and things were probably fine.

I could see the newest -CURRENT ala FreeBSD 12 being more risky due to the early stages of development.
I have seen this nowhere in writing and I make up stuff as I go!

Beta4 is due out today I see.
Geez that FTP server is like a maze trying to find stuff.

I hate to lecture people for sure. I feel like later on in the life of FreeBSD 11 (when it was -CURRENT) things were settled and things were probably fine...
It's all right, you're not telling me anything I wasn't able to figure out myself ;). But discussing things with others is always much better than making one's decision WITHOUT asking anyone.

Question:

The tutorial talks about using net/samba36 for networking. However, on freshports it says...

DEPRECATED: not supported by the upstream
This port expired on: 2016-04-01

It is still ok to use? Whats the next best thing? And how to install/configure that?

Back