HOWTO: keeping FreeBSD's base system and packages up-to-date

alie said:
Do we need to run all these points for every updates ?

After the first time only steps from the [font="Courier New"]# csup /root/stable-supfile[/font] are needed (including the [font="Courier New"]csup[/font] step of course).

What happens if I change the tag to RELENG_9? Will it compiles with llvm/clang instead of gcc?

@alie

You probably mean building the world/kernel, dunno mate, I haven't tried to buildworld on 9.x yet.

alie said:
Yes, building the world. Then how to make sure it builds with llvm/clang ?

If the commands to build/install world/kernel are the same, then what is the difference? :)

hmmm...

Another question. How to turn off debug mode for FreeBSD9-STABLE? Is it on by default?

alie said:
hmmm...

Another question. How to turn off debug mode for FreeBSD9-STABLE ? Is it on by default ?

When You download ISO images that are BETA, then Yes, debug is enabled in the kernel (WITNESS for example), when 9.0 will reach RC state, the additional debug is removed from the kernel default config (GENERIC), so its all about editing the kernel config.

I am new with kernel config. Is there any tutorial how to edit the kernel config? What is the config file location and name anyway?

alie said:
I am new with kernel config. Is there any tutorial how to edit the kernel config ?

Sure, whole chapter at FreeBSD Handbook: http://freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

alie said:
What is the config file location and name anyway ?
Location is /usr/src/sys/${ARCH}/conf/GENERIC, for example /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC.

Every time You update Your local source tree with csup/svn it gets overwritten, so its better to:

[CMD=""]# cd /usr/src/sys/${ARCH}/conf
# cp GENERIC /root/MINE
# ln -s MINE[/CMD]

And then use KERNCONF=MINE at the make buildkernel/installkernel/kernel option.

alie said:
What happens if I change the tag to RELENG_9? Will it compiles with llvm/clang instead of gcc?

llvm/clang will be installed, but GCC is still the default compiler. Progress is being made, but it will probably remain the default for quite some time. There are 23,000+ ports that are typically *only* tested with GCC by the developers.

Carpetsmoker said:
I believe that is what I said...

You can use clang if you want, but it's not the default.

Isn't that the base system will be compiled by llvm/clang and gcc is kept for building ports?

This is something really not clear... I couldnt find any information about this anywhere on the FreeBSD wiki, forum or handbook... we should put this information somewhere that visible and easy to find. And there's no document about how to compile with llvm instead of gcc or otherwise...

vermaden said:
Isn't that the base system will be compiled by llvm/clang and gcc is kept for building ports?

IIRC I picked up something like that too once.

I don't know what future plans are. All I know is that FreeBSD 9 BETA3 ships with Both llvm/Clang and GCC4.2 and uses FreeBSD 4.2 as the default.

If you want to use Clang, simply set CC to point to Clang instead of GCC ... I didn't try it, but I don't think it's more complicated then that :)

vermaden said:
Sure, whole chapter at FreeBSD Handbook: http://freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html

Location is /usr/src/sys/${ARCH}/conf/GENERIC, for example /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC.

Every time You update Your local source tree with csup/svn it gets overwritten, so its better to:

[CMD=""]# cd /usr/src/sys/${ARCH}/conf
# cp GENERIC /root/MINE
# ln -s MINE[/CMD]

And then use KERNCONF=MINE at the make buildkernel/installkernel/kernel option.

Instead of making a full copy of GENERIC you can write your kernel config like this:

Code:
ident MINE

include GENERIC

nooption         KDB 
nooption         DDB 
nooption         GDB
nooption         DEADLKRES
nooption         INVARIANTS
nooption         INVARIANT_SUPPORT 
nooption         WITNESS
nooption         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN 
nooption         MALLOC_DEBUG_MAXZONES

Big timesaver when GENERIC eventually changes. You don't have to manually track the changes between the new GENERIC and your own configuration.

Hi Guys, I have 1 query regarding kernel config.

What do i need to set for cpu option on kernel config if i have this from dmesg for 64 bit profile (amd64):

Code:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz (2673.35-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x106e5  Family = 6  Model = 1e  Stepping = 5
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,
  Features2=0x98e3fd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,
  AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics

Is it cpu I686_CPU ?

I up-to-date base system with a newer version of the cd freebsd stable. In sysinstall screen choose upgrade....

main1.png

Yampress said:
I up-to-date base system with a newer version of the cd freebsd stable. In sysinstall screen choose upgrade....

main1.png
Does bsdinstall, the latest installer in FreeBSD9, offer this "upgrade" option?

Back