How you came to unix world!

I have been installing Linux since the mid '90's, being able to crash it within 1 hour after install. So much for 'the rock solid alternative to Windows' as it was advertised back then :stud

Tried to install FreeBSD for the first time in around 2000. Stress the word 'tried'.

XP was a big improvement over 98SE, but through the years I started to dislike it more and more. Installed DesktopBSD some years ago and was impressed by the responsiveness of FreeBSD. Unfortunately, that project died (I recently learned they are trying to revive it - they have my support, as it is a great experience for newbies) but the 'passion' for FreeBSD has remained ever since.

And here I am, struggling to get it the way I want (still in XP dual boot until I feel I can safely migrate to FreeBSD - I need to do some work to make a living also, so until I have found suitable replacements for the applications I am used to working with I will have to use XP as well). But I will not ever buy Win7, let alone OS-X, so my path forward definitely is FreeBSD. And to ensure this is not only blabla I also donated to The Foundation, because I really like FreeBSD - am in love with it. Although it often feels like when I was in puberty and a most beautiful girl walked by but didn't even bother to see me: 'she's there, but she seems so out of reach' :e

Back