How to watch peacock on FreeBSD

Hi all,

Thanks to an excellent script called linux-browser-installer, many DRM-protected media can be watched via FreeBSD. The script essentially installs an ubuntu vm, one can then install a chrome or other browser on top to achieve this goal. One thing that doesn't work with this setup so far is peacock, which I believe doesn't allow their content to be streamed on anything other than windows, mac, android and ios. Did anyone successfully tackle this problem here?

Thanks!

No, but have you seen patovm04's howtos on running Brave or Chrome (not Chromium) on FreeBSD in an Ubuntu chroot? Here's the one for Chrome.

To be honest, I haven't used any of them in a couple of years, as I just don't watch that much on TV anymore, but it worked for me at the time?
Now, I have no idea if it works with Peacock too, but I assume (with all that that word implies) that it would work with anything that would work with Linux.

For what it's worth, I just tried watching a Peacock trailer in RockyLinux-8.x and it worked, so I'm even more sure that patovm04's solutions would work for you. It seems that Peacock plays on Linux and their solutions are for the Linux versions of browsers.

On the other hand, going to linux-browser-installer's github page, I see that they based the script on the howtos that I mentioned. So, though it seems as if patovm04' howtos should work with Peacock, if that's the case, I don't understand why linux-browser-installer doesn't work with it.
As a last resort, maybe you could create small Linux VirtualBox install and use that to watch.

Thank you for the replies scottro! My understanding is that Cox/NBC, the owners of Peacock set it up in a way that it may not be watched from a browser. It can only be watched via their app installed on the listed operating systems, which doesn't include Linux. One thing I didn't try so far is masquerading the operating system via the browser, but if the statement above is true, it still may not work. I will try that and post an update soon.

The other option is installing a Windows VirtualBox and installing Peacock on top of it. I may try that too.

heres a guide to enable widevine support on chromium

Back