Solved How to switch TTYs

Hi, I'm new in FreeBSD, in Linux I use ctrl+alt+f1/f2f/3.... in FreeBSD I read that it's alt+f1/f2...but I press alt+f1 or alt + f2 and nothing happened.

Thanks.

In FreeBSD, switching between consoles is with the Alt+F1 combinations. If X is running, Ctrl-Alt-F1 must be used to switch to the text console. Then the Alt+F1 combinations work. To switch back to X, it is usually Alt-F9. However some setups might have X at a lower-numbered function key.

Note that FreeBSD is just one of several BSD-based operating systems. NetBSD and OpenBSD might do consoles differently. There are also appliance variations that use FreeBSD that also might do things differently, like FreeNAS, pfSense, and opnSense.

I'm in FreeBSD 10.1 and I'm using GUI, MATE desktop, but I haven't Fn button in my keyboard.

In FreeBSD, switching between consoles is with the Alt+F1 combinations. If X is running, Ctrl-Alt-F1 must be used to switch to the text console. Then the Alt+F1 combinations work. To switch back to X, it is usually Alt-F9. However some setups might have X at a lower-numbered function key.

Note that FreeBSD is just one of several BSD-based operating systems. NetBSD and OpenBSD might do consoles differently. There are also appliance variations that use FreeBSD that also might do things differently, like FreeNAS, pfSense, and opnSense.
I try Ctrl-Alt-F1 and nothing happened.

Fn means F1, F2, or any of those function keys.

We need a better shorthand for "function keys 1 through 12" than Fn as many keyboards (especially on laptops, but also on some desktop keyboards [like mine]) include a separate Fn key that does different things depending on the key pressed. All the little blue symbols on keys are activated using the blue Fn key.

Maybe specifying things a little more like, "CTRL+ALT+F1 through CTRL+ALT-F12"? Or "CTRL+ALT+Fx (where x is a number from 1-12)"? Or something else?

Back