how to stop verbosity of /var/log/messages on the shell

Hello everybody,
please, can you tell me if is a way to stop verbosity of the /var/log/messages that appears to my ttyv0 ? Is it possible to stop it ?

Another question: sometimes commands shows information longer the screen. In which a way I can show page-by-page or line-by-line ?

Thanks in advance.

Vincenzo.

Or just use the console's scroll function (press ScrollLock and then use pgup/pgdn). (If you use sc you even can increase the buffer via vidcontrol or custom kernel)
I use the first console only as a log console. There are 7 others I can access via ctl-alt-F2-F8, sufficient for me. I thus have a hard time understanding why people want the log stuff gone. Maybe there are things what you can do only with ttyv0?

I thus have a hard time understanding why people want the log stuff gone.
It's not gone, it's still being logged to /var/log/messages. It's just not printed on the console any more.

It's not gone, it's still being logged to /var/log/messages. It's just not printed on the console any more.
I particularly like that the console has no turnaround, which can be a bit of annoying when one does not want to spend more than a second to see what were the last messages.

Hi !
I've undertsood that if there are case for which the kernel shows the errors of the messages file on the screen, notifying hardware problems. I've also understand that I can use F2, F3 , .... F8 function button to use another terminal and avoid the verbosity of the messages shown.
However, as you can see by the attached photo, when these messages are shown during the installation process, it is very hard because they overwrite the setting windows.

Please, is a way to resolve the problem in this case, because during the installation phase the F2, F3, etc... don't work.

Thanks in advance.

Vincenzo.

Please, what means "the solution is give in post 2" if the problem happens during the installation phase ? Maybe I need to change the /etc/syslog.conf that is on the DVD ? and in which a way ?
Please, let me learn more.
Thanks.

If you get hardware errors during the installation phase you have more serious problems. Also note that most of the time you can press CTRL-L to redraw the screen.

Back