How to stop GDM starting automatically at boot

I have just installed Gnome with 11.2. The system is configured to automatically start gdm on system boot.
I didn't realize this & as a result i can't use sudo or make other system changes.
Could you tell me what code I would need to use to disable/remove the automatic feature. However, I can't see any way I could do this as there appears to be no available command line feature.
Thank You

I have just installed Gnome with 11.2. The system is configured to automatically start gdm on system boot.
I didn't realize this & as a result i can't use sudo or make other system changes.
Could you tell me what code I would need to use to disable/remove the automatic feature. However, I can't see any way I could do this as there appears to be no available command line feature.
Thank You
What? On Gnome you should already have a Terminal emulator, why don't use it? I don't think Gnome started automatically too. Please show me the tutorial you use installed FreeBSD with Gnome. If it's a video on youtube they should already adjust rc.conf to start Gnome automatically.

Yes, I've found the terminal.
I used the Gnome instructions in the handbook at 5.7.1 (desktop environments). I also installed the xorg package & prefixed the /etc/rc.conf entries (dbus etc) with 'sysrc'

Yes, I've found the terminal.
I used the Gnome instructions in the handbook at 5.7.1 (desktop environments). I also installed the xorg package & prefixed the /etc/rc.conf entries (dbus etc) with 'sysrc'
If you simply want to disable GDM and start Gnome manuallly via startx you should change gdm_enable="YES" to gdm_enable="NO". If you also want to not loading Gnome related services you should also have gnome_enable="YES" changed to gnome_enable="NO".

I can't do that as /etc/rc.conf is 'read only', given that I am in a non-root environment.
Use su to switch to root, then install doas, and create a /usr/local/etc/doas.conf. An example content of it:
Code:
permit keepenv nopass root as root
permit keepenv nopass [your_local_account_name_here] as root
Remember to have a newline at the end of the file. You should install nano or joe for a more user friendly command line text editor other than the default vi or ee. After already set up doas, type exit and test if you could doas poweroff. If it works since then you only have to add doas before the command you want to run as root.

I haven't installed doas yet but I am able to su to root. When I try to change permissions from read only with su I get the following reply.
Code:
'root@FreeBSD:/home/brenton/bash # ./bashrc
./bashrc: Permission denied.'
Why can't I access bashrc with su so that I an can save it? Do I definitely have to activate doas to do so?

Thanks.

You're trying to execute a script that's not executable, hence the permission denied. You typically source the file, not execute it; . ~/.bashrc

Back