How to setup USB to serial adapter

sorry,..the headline was supposed to be: How to setup usb to serial adapter :) ..but I can't seem to correct it now

Do you have the manual(s)? I believe that the Fluke 8845a/8846a meters have an ethernet port. Why are you messing with RS-232 when you can use ethernet?

In the manual I downloaded appendix C covers the RS-232 pinout. But really, ethernet is much easier and faster.

The software side of that adapter should be easy. uftdi(4) is already part of the GENERIC kernel, so just load ucom(4):
# kldload ucom

After that, you need a serial cable that is wired right. That will depend on what the meter needs.

wblock@ said:
The software side of that adapter should be easy. uftdi(4) is already part of the GENERIC kernel, so just load ucom(4):
# kldload ucom

After that, you need a serial cable that is wired right. That will depend on what the meter needs.

Great, thanks. So the Generic kernel supports the FTDI chipset in the adapter?

I do know that the pin-configuration on the serial side is correct so that should not be a problem.

Uniballer said:
Do you have the manual(s)? I believe that the Fluke 8845a/8846a meters have an ethernet port. Why are you messing with RS-232 when you can use ethernet?

In the manual I downloaded appendix C covers the RS-232 pinout. But really, ethernet is much easier and faster.

Yes, I am aware of the Ethernet port. Unfortunately this project requires me to use the serial port :(

Mattjones said:
Great, thanks. So the Generic kernel supports the FTDI chipset in the adapter?

Well, probably. If someone would give me one of those meters, I'd be happy to test it.

I do know that the pin-configuration on the serial side is correct so that should not be a problem.

Then it should just be a matter of connecting to it. /dev/cuaU0 should be the device. Do you have an application that communicates with it, or will it just be a terminal program?

wblock@ said:
Well, probably. If someone would give me one of those meters, I'd be happy to test it.

Then it should just be a matter of connecting to it. /dev/cuaU0 should be the device. Do you have an application that communicates with it, or will it just be a terminal program?

Great, I will try /dev/cuaU0. Im not aware of any applications for this so I will probably have to use a terminal program.

Back