How to set up NIC

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13" with FreeBSD11 installed to a USB key. During installation the option to set up ipv4 was not available as no network cards were found. This, I believe, is a bug of sorts as the Broadcom card in my machine should be supported by the bwn(4) driver. It should presumably, therefore, load on boot and recognise my card, enabling ipv4 setup during installation(?)

sysinstall has been removed, which would have enabled me to run through the semi-automated process of setting up my wireless card.

I can add if_bwn_load="YES" to /boot/loader.rc but that's only part of the process.

There is information available here and here which seems helpful, but not so much when you're trying to learn BSD and need to look up each of the steps involved. It becomes a very convoluted process of trying to guess what I'm supposed to be doing and potentially messing the system up in the meantime.

Is there a guide (or can someone let me know) how to manually configure the various files in order to get my wireless card to run (driver loaded at boot etc.)?

Thanks!

Step 2: ifconfig | grep -B3 -i wireless - produces no output, just returns me to the prompt. I have got if_bwn_load="YES" added to /boot/loader.rc but still no response.

The guide doesn't say what to do in this case. It does say "If a wireless adapter is not listed, an additional kernel module might be required, or it might be a model not supported by FreeBSD." Well we know it's supported because the driver states it is, so how do I load an additional kernel module? Which module? Where does it need to be added? Once added to the relevant files, how do I load it without a reboot? And will it automatically load after boot?

Post your dmesg output and also the output of pciconf -lv.

It's /boot/loader.conf, not /boot/loader.rc where you should add the if_bwn_load="YES" line.

Step 2: ifconfig | grep -B3 -i wireless - produces no output, just returns me to the prompt. I have got if_bwn_load="YES" added to /boot/loader.rc but still no response.
It won't on FreeBSD 11.0 and the handbook needs an update. Run sysctl net.wlan.devices to see if it was detected. If it was you can continue with the guide.

tobik: sysctl net.wlan.devices returns no output. Though I haven't tried it since adding if_bwn_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf.

kpa: dmesg produces quite a lot of output. Any lines in particular? I photographed them but can reproduce any specific lines.

pciconf -lv showed (relevant line):

Code:
none6@pci0:3:0:0:                   class=0x028000 card=0x0133106b chip=0x43ba14e4 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
  vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
  device   = BCM43602 802.11ac Wireless LAN SoC
  class    = network

Back