How to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Dear

I have a linux native software (the source code is not available, so, compiling it is not a option) that requires:
1) the path must be specified: no problem because I just added the complete path in my .login file. I tested a serial job and works fine.
2) I must specify where openmpi libs are. In the FAQ/TUTORIAL of this software, the solution is simple: export (or setenv) LD_LIBRARY_PATH pathtoopenmpilibs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Here is my problem: there is no LD_LIBRARY_PATH defined and I cannot (and, I think, I must not) set it.

My box is:
FreeBSD matata 13.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p7 #15 e5733e6d9: Mon Feb 7 18:40:56 -03 2022 root@matata:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64

Please, could you give a hint about this problem?

Thank you in advance
Yours

Eduardo

"
SECURITY
Special care must be taken when loading shared libraries into the address
space of set-user-Id programs. Whenever such a program is run by any
user except the owner of the program, the dynamic linker will only load
shared libraries from the hints file. In particular, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is not used to search for libraries. Thus, the role of ldconfig is dual.
In addition to building a set of hints for quick lookup, it also serves
to specify the trusted collection of directories from which shared ob-
jects can be safely loaded"

Dear Adrian

Thank you for your answer. I had read something in this reasoning and found that it explains that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not a system variable anymore. But, even in native linux, this software claims that LD_LIBRARY_PATH must be set. Thus, I think the only solution is install a virtual machine (I have experienced VirtualBox but I think there are better solutions) and run it inside.

My best regards

Yours

Eduardo

For the sake of setting the env variable: it's OK if that env variable doesn't exist. You can set it LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/my/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" even if environment variable is not set. It's a way of expanding the variable without losing its original content (be it empty).

Sane way of doing this would be creating wrapper script, e.g. startme.sh where you'd define this environment variable and then start the binary in question.

As mentioned above LD_LIBRARY_PATH is ignored when setuid binary is executed (for obvious reasons: you'd compromise security otherwise). If your program doesn't use setuid/setgid you are safe to use them though.

But as you are on FreeBSD running native Linux binary you opened another can of worms -- Linux ABI support. It may or may not work, depending how new that binary is and what it does.

it's OK if that env variable doesn't exist. You can set it LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/my/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" even if environment variable is not set.
This is actually really bad practice. Because LD_LIBRARY_PATH is empty you end up with a library path set to /my/lib:. Note the colon on the end, that adds an empty path to it. Which then causes the current working directory to be searched for the library. Which in turn could lead to severe security implications.

Note FreeBSD's ld.so doesn't behave this way.

While all this gets ignored on setuid binaries and I would not say "severe security implications" I do agree that better sanitation is a good idea to avoid this corner case.

Back