How to reinstall radeon driver

Hi all,
I am new to freebsd and although I have gotten it up and running, I am using the VESA driver instead of radeon driver which doesnt get me the xorg test screen. I have an X550(RV370) card and im using FreeBSD 6.1. I was wondering if you could help me reinstall the latest xf86-video-ati-6.13.0 driver from ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/x11-drivers ?
Do I do a pkg_add from this location? After that what?

Also I wanna stay with this version of FreeBSD for some reason.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Manish

Hello SirDice!

Thanks for providing the pointer. But my question is that pkg_add will add it as an application package. How will I replace the existing driver in my Xorg installation with this new driver? The section you have pointed doesnt have info in this regard.

Also the error log says :
Code:
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 04:00:0
(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:4:0:1) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Thanks
Manish

mtanva said:
Hello SirDice!

Thanks for providing the pointer. But my question is that pkg_add will add it as an application package. How will I replace the existing driver in my Xorg installation with this new driver? The section you have pointed doesnt have info in this regard.

Code:

Could just be a wrong PCI address in your xorg.conf, but you did not show what you had in it.

What does # pciconf -lv show for the video card and PCI address?

What do you mean "reinstall"? What was wrong with the first version?

Using a version of FreeBSD that old may cause problems also.

mtanva said:
Hello SirDice!

Code:

Thanks
Manish

The error isn't very helpful outside of the context of the full Xorg.0.log file.

Adam

Back