How to partition/format the FBSD disk's free section in ext4?

Hello

I installed FreeBSD PPC on a Mac mini G4 with 40GB harddisk. I used about 23GB of disk space for FBSD and
left the remaining 17GB section free for installing linux/Ubuntu PPC.

I have zero problems with the FBSD, it works perfectly fine on Mac mini,
but I have a hard time installing Linux/Ubuntu on its free section presumably
because I'm not able to partition/format it in Ext4.

On my attempt to partition/format that section with Disk Utility of Ubuntu,
here is how it looks:
dvrgy.jpg

When I try to add a partition to the 17GB section using Ubuntu's DU
it fails with this message:

Code:
Error creating partition: helper exited with exit code 1: In part_add_partition: 
device_file=/dev/hda, start=23363101696, size=16644660224, type=
Entering MS-DOS parser (offset=0, size=40007761920)
No MSDOS_MAGIC found
Exiting MS-DOS parser
Entering Apple parser
Mac MAGIC found, block_size=512
map_count = 17
Leaving Apple parser
Apple partition table detected
containing partition table scheme = 2
got it
Error: The partition's data region doesn't occupy the entire partition.
ped_disk_new() failed

Please note the expression "Apple Partition Table detected" It looks as if it's a APT related problem.
But I don't think it's because of APT. I think this is a more general issue seen in other Partition Tables.

So the problem is, how can I partition/format this FBSD disk's free section in ext4? There's a tool called "gpart" in FBSD,
but I don't think it can handle Ext4 formatting, or can it? I'm not sure.

Waiting for the suggestions, thanks.

That's right.

But may I summarize the question like this:)

Is there's any tool in FreeBSD with which I can safely partition and format free space (of the harddisk on which FreeBSD is installed) in Ext4 format?

Ext3 is also ok. AFAIK, ext3 and ext4 are equivalent/compatible.
Which tool in FreeBSD does the Ext3 partition/formatting?

That "unknown partitioning" is probably due to FreeBSD using GPT. Unfortunately, there's no gpart(8) output, so it's hard to be sure.

Anyway, the question to ask the Ubuntu people would be "how do I install Ubuntu for multiboot in a GPT partition?" followed quickly by "okay, it's installed, but how do I install a GPT multiboot loader?" followed by "why did not I not use a simple VM?"

I have installed it successfully, this evening I will try with this one and post the results. Thanks.

UPDATE: e2fsprogs seems to handle mainly the formatting but not partitioning. Therefore I couldn't manage to make the Linux Partition using it.

wblock@ said:
That "unknown partitioning" is probably due to FreeBSD using GPT. Unfortunately, there's no gpart(8) output, so it's hard to be sure.

If you mean the gpart(8) output of my FSBD PPC installation, here it is:
rCtqC.jpg

And for further information, here's the DU output of a (20GB) harddisk on which Ubuntu 10.10 PPC is installed: (no FBSD installed and no disk space for FBSD could be allocated)
dx3wm.jpg

wblock@ said:
Anyway, the question to ask the Ubuntu people would be "how do I install Ubuntu for multiboot in a GPT partition?" followed quickly by "okay, it's installed, but how do I install a GPT multiboot loader?" followed by "why did not I not use a simple VM?"

you're correct on this one but only with the last part I don't agree because I'd like to achieve this dual boot system w.o. using any VM.

It's not GPT, it is APM. If this is on a Mac, that should have been mentioned. If it is not a Mac, use a standard partition scheme, either MBR or GPT.

wblock@ said:
It's not GPT, it is APM. If this is on a Mac, that should have been mentioned. If it is not a Mac, use a standard partition scheme, either MBR or GPT.

It's a 2005 Mac mini G4 with PowerPC processor, I had mentioned at my first post.

Because PowerPC Mac's are said to use only APM, I had to use APM, too. I don't think I can use MBR or GPT on it.

Sorry, I missed that. In that case, it's a Mac problem, and the multi-boot loader will have to be something available for the PowerPC Mac.

Back