invaild dataset name/invalid data

When I do mount /dev/ada0p4 /mnt/FirstOne/
This happens:
Code:
mount: /dev/ada0p4: Invalid argument

It is a plain ZFS partition. No ZFS pool. When using zfs command:
Code:
invaild dataset name/invalid data

There's no such thing a "plain ZFS partition". The ZFS file system is always used as a ZFS pool with the individual file systems created dynamically from the pool. Look at zpool(8) on how to create and manipulate ZFS pools.

Well, here's how I created the zfs partition:
I created it in gparted and Linux mounted it, so why can't FreeBSD?
How do I create one with the partition so I can read it?

Well, here's how I created the zfs partition:
I created it in gparted and Linux mounted it, so why can't FreeBSD?
How do I create one with the partition so I can read it?

If Linux mounted it with mount(8) it isn't a ZFS partition but something else, ZFS just can't be used like a traditional file system. What were the commands/steps you used to create the partition and file system?

SO I chose the "ZFS" option in GParted when creating the partition. After that, I used the mount command to open the partition. I could read and write to it.

Show us the outputs from these commands (run them as root):

gpart show

file -s /dev/ada0p4

zpool import

Gparted just creates raw partitions. You can specify a type when creating partitions but that's really just a label the OS can use to help guess what type of filesystem is in each partition. Gparted does not actually format the partition or create a file system for you. There's nothing stopping you creating a partition of type 'zfs', then formatting it as ext3/UFS/whatever. For a partition to contain a ZFS file system, you have to actually run zpool create at some point to create a ZFS pool on it.

If you truly just partitioned the disk, then mounted it in Linux, it must of already had an existing filesystem on it, and your new partition is in the same place as the old one. That or you did run something else in Linux which formatted the partition.

gpart show (the ms-basic-data is my partition I am talking about):
Code:
=>  34  1953525101  ada0  GPT  (932G)
  34  6  - free -  (3.0K)
  40  1600  1  efi  (800K)
  1640  1262483896  2  freebsd-ufs  (602G)
  1262485536  7446496  3  freebsd-swap  (3.5G)
  1269932032  683591680  4  ms-basic-data  (326G)
  1953523712  1024  5  freebsd-boot  (512K)
  1953524736  399  - free -  (200K)
file /dev/ada0p4
/dev/ada0p4: SGI XFS filesystem data (blksz 4096, inosz 256, v2 dirs)

X and Z are close in the alapbet.Sorry for the mistake and will read carefully next time.
By the way,thanks for pointing that out
Now,how do i mount a XFS partition

FreeBSD may have dropped support for XFS or it may be read only

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD10

It sounds like you created an xfs partitions by accident.

Why would want to use that FS specifically if you are not familiar with it?

You could use it as zfs like this:

gpart delete -i 4 /dev/ada0
gpart add -i 4 -t freebsd-zfs ada0
zpool create -m "mount point" "some name for your pool" "/dev/ada0p4"

I have my data there (and it is 1 partition) I can always use a Linux or freebsd FreeBSD live CD for your information. I picked it because I thought freebsd FreeBSD supported it.

Also, look at my Mobile Broadband post in Networking!

Your disk is ada0 from the gpart output you posted you have a total of 5 partitions and that partitions and the ada0"p4" reference the the 4th index of 4th partition.

Also the last output you had show 326GB with an fs type of ms-basic-data.

Lets restart

If you are just trying to recover some data off that partition, like you just mentioned just mount it with Linux and rsync where you want it.

Also I don't see a link to your other post.

Ok, so without some more info I am not sure how this thread regarding getting access to an xfs partition relates to making sure you have mobile broadband in Africa with FreeBSD.

Could you elaborate more specifically on what you specifically want to accomplish with your disk concern?

My best guess is you want to setup a laptop with FreeBSD that works with some broadband devices.

Is this disk you have already installed with FreeBSD, if not where did it come from and what are trying to do with it?

Do you have a separate FreeBSD install somewhere you are trying to read this disk with?

I will be out for some hours mountain biking.
If someone hasn't helped you further, I will try and get back to later.

I however cant help you with the other post, this post was just about mounting xfs on FreeBSD.

If you like I make an xfs stick and see how and if it can be mounted.

What version of FreeBSD are you trying to mount it on.

Please post the return from the command uname -a, so we now where you are trying to accomplish this.

Ok, so without some more info I am not sure how this thread regarding getting access to an xfs partition relates to making sure you have mobile broadband in Africa with FreeBSD.

If you like I make an xfs stick and see how and if it can be mounted.

What version of FreeBSD are you trying to mount it on.

Please post the return from the command uname -a, so we now where you are trying to accomplish this.
First of all,who looks in the Networking thread? My post was standing there for a hour with few views,so i said it here.
I am running FreeBSD 10.1. I will post uname -a output in a thread after this

Thank You. So there is NO way to recover my data on the ZFS from FreeBSD?
(I can use a Linux live cd)

Thank You.So there is NO way to recover my data on the ZFS from freebsd? (I can use a linux live cd)

XFS was the native file system of IRIX and was ported by Silicon Graphics to Linux when they realized that Linux doesn't have a decent file system and that their customers wants Linux not IRIX. Fast forward XFS is essentially the only serious file system on Linux at this day and age and it is use by major vendors like Red Hat for everything including root partition.
ZFS is usable on Linux via kernel modules. You could theoretically boot your system with Live CD (you will need a custom built image with ZFS supports), mount the file system. Then move the files onto the new ZFS pool created on Linux. After you finish you export the pool. Then you boot FreeBSD and import ZFS pool into the FreeBSD. Once imported pool will not be readable by Linux again because Linux uses obsolete version of ZFS.

Back