Other How to mount Hammer2 fs on FreeBSD

Hello to everyone.

I would like to try DragonFlyBSD a little bit,but first of all I wanna be sure that I can mount the Hammer2 fs on Freebsd,because It's important to make them in communication for transferring files on and from both disks. So,how to do that ? I've google a little bit but I found nothing. If this can't be done,maybe I should choose another file system and not hammer2 but it will be a shame since it is full of features.

that's not good because it will force me to use DragonFly if I want to get access to the freebsd partition. I don't like very much this kind of enforcement. Probably I will not choose hammer2.

... because It's important to make them in communication for transferring files on and from both disks.
Don't use mounting the disk from a different OS as the means of communicating. Instead, run Dragonfly on its own, and use the network to communicate. As Alain said, one way to do that is to create a VM, and run Dragonfly in that.

General comment: Mounting file systems from the "wrong" OS is in general fraught with dangers, as foreign OS implementations tend to be flaky and error-prone.

My goal is to learn and test qemu and NVMM + passthru of the devices (USB disks,GPU,USB controllers,network interfaces) directly from DragonFly,so I need to install it directly on the hard disk,I can't virtualize it on FreeBSD. If "Mounting file systems from the "wrong" OS is in general fraught with dangers",what can I do is to emulate FreeBSD (or maybe any other OS) vm in DragonFLY with qemu,accelerating it with NVMM. That's right ?

I've installed Dragonfly phisically on this disk :

Code:
34  976773101  ada1  GPT  (466G)
34       2014        - free -  (1.0M)
2048     262144     1  efi  (128M)
264192  976508928     2  dragonfly-label64  (466G)
976773120         15        - free -  (7.5K)

and then I tried to virtualize the phisycal disk within bhyve,using /dev/ada1 and /dev/ada1p1,but it won't boot.

FreeBSD's primary two file systems are UFS and ZFS. FAT and ISO-9660 are also part of the FreeBSD kernel and can offer decent cross-OS file sharing.

Most other file systems are available as FUSE implementations, but HAMMER isn't one of them.

anyway,I see that DFLY has qemu 6 now.

I know. But DragonFly can't allow the passthru of the graphic cards. Pass thru is my favorite toy because I use them a lot because I love to experiment with a different operating systems. DragonFly does not support VFIO and KVM and Bhyve. In the Linux world qemu works with KVM + VFIO. Without a reimplementation of these functions on BSD,the best hypervisor is still Bhyve. In FreeBSD I can pass thru my nvidia cards and maybe even my Intel card,why should I start usind DFLY ? Hammer 2 is new and it's a professional fs for advanced users. I'm still learning ZFS and I prefer this because it's old and more known.

Back