How to make a FreeBSD Subversion Server for newbies ?

and another as a "SVN vs. git".

I personally would rather Vim vs Emacs (I haven't heard this argument for years!)
Or possibly a C/C++ vs <incorrect technology> (Still a popular argument)

Other than avoiding Perforce, I don't think I really have a preference on any VCS. They all have pros and cons (Perforce only has cons ;).

... apparently urged by xCode ?
Yes, Subversion support has been discontinued in Xcode 10. Then I migrated my most active development projects to Git. Later I found out, that I may have several Xcode versions on my development machine side-by-side, and for the time being I leave my other projects in Subversion.

Yes, Subversion support has been discontinued in Xcode 10. Then I migrated my most active development projects to Git. Later I found out, that I may have several Xcode versions on my development machine side-by-side, and for the time being I leave my other projects in Subversion.

seems that I'm a clairvoyant ;-)
as I said:
I wished that svn stayed in xCode , ....

Other than avoiding Perforce, I don't think I really have a preference on any VCS. They all have pros and cons (Perforce only has cons ;).
I would like to respectfully disagree. I used Perforce (a.k.a. P4) for about three years, about 10 years ago. It was excellent. The most important part was that it was powerful (really good merging engine, for getting stuff merged up and down branches), while being easy to use. For really simple workflows (non-branched development with a central repository and only 2-3 active developers), it was as easy to use as CVS, and we had a cheat cheat that translates CVS commands to P4 commands.

At the time, we compared it to the free offerings (for example CVS, Git, Subversion...), and to commercial offerings (for example ClearCase, BitKeeper, CMVC...), and it was considerably better than any of the competitors. We ran a little test with one of our more gnarly merges against several free offerings, and they all failed horribly, and would have required lots of manual rework.
One of the best features of it was excellent support: If we needed help with something non-obvious, we called the support group (which was fortunately in our own time zone), and within an hour we had help.

But SCM is a very personal thing, and I can believe that other people had very different experiences. Personally, I'm currently switching to Mercurial for my own home stuff, and quite happy with it,.

I used Perforce (a.k.a. P4) for about three years, about 10 years ago. It was excellent.

I just remember having to get it running on our build server; the individual workspaces were a real pain to manage. I think I recall the company charging extra for additional seats for each "workspace" that a user had too; including our build bot. It just made it impractical.
At that point the client wasn't open-source either and no development libraries for FreeBSD so we ended up having to scrub the text output for quite a few things. Just yuck.

Back