How to install TCL in FreeBSD?

Howdy guys.

Yesterday, iI tried to install eggdrop in my FreeBSD machine. I got a problem with wget at first but then iI made a research and I tried and it resolve.

Now, the problem is with tcl. In the shell, it says that I have to install TCL. I tried with pkg install tcl85 but failed.

Any idea/suggestion? Thanks.

Try the following:

pkg install lang/tcl85

If that still fails then please post the errors that you are getting.
You should also note that tcl86 is the latest version.

Code:
root@FreeBSD:~ # [CMD]tclsh[/CMD]
tclsh: Command not found.

Thanks anyway xavi for your effort. I will read the link you gave.

Good day Blade,

I see "This paste has been removed" when I visit your URL.

To allow multiple Tcl versions to be installed on the same computer, the tclsh executable carries the Tcl version in its name.

Try running Tcl by typing tclsh8.5 instead of tclsh.

Here's how this looks on my computer:

Code:
% freebsd-version
10.1-RELEASE-p6
% pkg info | grep tcl
tcl86-8.6.3                    Tool Command Language
tcllib-1.16                    Collection of utility modules for Tcl
% which tclsh
tclsh not found
% which tclsh8.6
/usr/local/bin/tclsh8.6

To make a particular Tcl version the default, use the root account to create a symbolic link from tclsh8.5 to tclsh, like this:

Code:
# cd /usr/local/bin
# pwd
/usr/local/bin
# ln -s tclsh8.5 tclsh

A related tip: if you wind up writing any Tcl scripts, here's a portable way to begin them:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Re-start with Tcl \
exec tclsh $0 $@

# Begin your Tcl code here

This allows your scripts to work as long as tclsh is in one of the directories in your shell's path. If the root account will ever be used to run your Tcl scripts and/or if you're concerned about security, avoid this convenience and hard-code the path to tclsh instead--otherwise, your script may wind up being run by a malicious wrapper around tclsh.

Good day Tobik,

The env trick is sure simpler, and it probably works well for most people. I actually use it with Python since, as you know, the exec trick (well, the exact same trick at least) doesn't work with Python (since a backslash can make a comment to span multiple lines in Tcl, but not in Python).

I picked up the exec habit while writing Tcl scripts meant to run on both FreeBSD and SCO OpenServer.

A fresh SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 installation keeps env in /bin, but not in /usr/bin, so the env trick doesn't work across FreeBSD and OpenServer. The exec trick does, since both systems keep sh in /bin.

Based on what I've read in threads like this, fans of the exec trick guess that sh being located in /bin is a safer bet (applies to more Unix types) than env being in /usr/bin. Yet I'm guessing that some Unix types don't locate sh in /bin either, so perhaps neither method applies universally.

Thanks for explaining. I am concerned about the exec trick because it destroys any argument that has whitespace in it, because sh does its own tokenization of $@. E.g. the following TCL snippet prints each argument on their own lines:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# \
exec tclsh8.5 $0 $@
foreach arg $::argv {puts $arg}
If invoked like ./script "bla" "asdf asdf" it prints 3 lines where I would expect just 2 lines:
Code:
bla
asdf
asdf
With env it does the right thing:
Code:
bla
asdf asdf

EDIT:
Reading your link in more detail my script above should be:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# \
exec tclsh8.5 "$0" "$@"
foreach arg $::argv {puts $arg}
Then it does the right thing.

Tobik, thanks for pointing out that the $0 and $@ should be in double-quotes; I think I've been doing that wrong forever, and just lucked out with avoiding multi-word arguments.

Back