How to install packages a locally after minimal installation?

If I choose to do a minimal install, how do I install packages from the installation CDs after installation?

For example, let's say I wanted to install X11/Gnome, g++, and some text games. How should I go about this?

Insert your installation CD into the drive.
Fire up SYSINSTALL.
Then Configure > Packages (or Distributions)> CD/DVD > What you want to add.

Karmaflute said:
If I choose to do a minimal install, how do I install packages from the installation CDs after installation?
You pick the DVD instead of the CD. disc1 has no software packages.

Karmaflute said:
and some text games. How should I go about this?
I am not sure even the DVD has any games. If you have an Internet access elsewhere, you can download the packages manually from the FTP server (< i386-8.1-RELEASE). Text games are usually standalone or have very few dependencies so this should be easy. When you copy the packages to your machine, a simple # pkg_add packagename-v.e.r.sion.tbz will install them.

Bunyan said:
Insert your installation CD into the drive.
Fire up SYSINSTALL.
Then Configure > Packages (or Distributions)> CD/DVD > What you want to add.

You really, really, really, really, (have I mentioned "really") should not use sysinstall after the OS is installed. Just ... don't.

To install packages off the CD, just mount the CD to /cdrom, cd into it, and use pkg_add() to install the packages. Since all the packages are in one directory, pkg_add will find the dependencies and install them as needed.

Well, yes. You can add your text games via command line as well.
Mount your FreeBSD Install CD
Code:
mount /cdrom
Enter the games dir
Code:
cd cdrom/8.1-RELEASE/games
Install games
Code:
sh install.sh

Back