How to install DBeaver in FreeBSD

The following tutorial shows how to install DBeaver (https://dbeaver.io/).
The installation is performed as Eclipse plugin since there is no working standalone version for FreeBSD.

1. As root: Install java/eclipse, devel/maven and java/openjdk17.

2. As user: Download lates DBeaver sourcecode from https://github.com/dbeaver/dbeaver/releases -> "Source code (tar.gz)".

3. As user: Extract the source code: tar -xvpzf dbeaver-23.3.0.tar.gz (NOTE: you may need to adjust the version number in this command).

4. As user: Set the right Java version: setenv JAVA_HOME /usr/local/openjdk17/.

5. As user: Make a complete build in the previously extracted DBeaver source directory: mvn package -Pall-platforms.

6. As root: Copy the following to /usr/local/share/eclipse/dropins (NOTE: The paths are architecture dependend, please choose linux and your architecture. In this case I use amd64):
- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/plugins/org.osgi.service.event_1.4.1.202109301733.jar
- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/plugins/slf4j.api_2.0.7.jar
- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/plugins/org.jkiss.dbeaver.slf4j_2.0.90.202312161511.jar

7. As user: Start Eclipse, make sure eclipse is running with the correct JAVA version openjdk17. E.g. setenv JAVA_HOME /usr/local/openjdk17/ && eclipse.

8. As user: Install DBeaver plugin via "Help -> Install New Software" - In the field "Work with" enter "https://dbeaver.io/update/latest/", then select "DBeaver".

Result:
20231216_16h38m40s_grim.png

I don't know why Eclipse can't find the download site. I was able to install the Market place client and found dbeaver in there but it also failed to find the download site. pgadmin3, pgadmin4 and dbeaver don't work here but do work on my Gentoo system so I guess I'll go work there. Thanks for the help.

I don't know why Eclipse can't find the download site. I was able to install the Market place client and found dbeaver in there but it also failed to find the download site. pgadmin3, pgadmin4 and dbeaver don't work here but do work on my Gentoo system so I guess I'll go work there. Thanks for the help.
I can also install DBeaver via Marketplace Client after executing steps 1-7 from this tutorial, so it seems to work in principle.
Have you performed those steps, too?

elgrande I tried to install 23.3.3 following your tutorial ... but with no success. Copying just the files you list I get the same problem when installing via "Install new software".
I tried to copy all the files from features and plugins to /usr/local/share/eclipse/dropins .. and after that I can install .. but then I cannot relaunch Eclipse (stays on initial logo with processor at 200%)
Can you please tell me how you figured out which files to copy for 23.3.0 ?

Can you please tell me how you figured out which files to copy for 23.3.3 ?
I just tried to install as in step 8. Then I received error messages about missing dependencies. Those I copied to the dropins folder one by one. (I had to try the installation a couple of times to cover all missing dependencies)

elgrande thank you for your help. I was able to do it!

To install 23.3.3 I had to change:

Step1: install devel/maven39

Step6: changed the copied files/dirs to:

- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/plugins/org.apache.commons.commons-codec_1.16.0.jar
- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/plugins/org.jkiss.dbeaver.ext.generic_2.3.209.202401302111.jar
- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/plugins/org.osgi.service.event_1.4.1.202109301733.jar
- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/features/org.jkiss.dbeaver.db.feature_1.0.114.202401302111
- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/plugins/org.jkiss.dbeaver.slf4j_2.0.93.202401302111.jar
- product/community/target/products/org.jkiss.dbeaver.core.product/linux/gtk/x86_64/dbeaver/plugins/slf4j.api_2.0.9.jar

Back