How to install cupsd driver for Lexmark C3224dw color laser printer

This howto only applies to AMD64 and X86 platform.
I have only installed the driver for the printer in the title on AMD64, But the downloaded package contains ppd files for C3200, C3300, CS330, CX330, MC3200 and MC3300 series and binaries for both AMD64 and X64 so they should probably work too.
Final word of warning: This worked for me, I can't promise it will work for you.
  • Configure the printer, i.e. give it an IP address, access its web server and set it up to your liking.
  • As root
  • As user
    • Download Lexmark-AEY-PPD-Files.tar.Z from Lexmark. E.g. http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&locale=EN&docLocale=en_US&userlocale=EN_US&id=DR25035
    • Unpack the downloaded file and go the created directory ppd_files and the subdirectory GlobalPPD_1.4. Here are the needed files and lib and lib64 contains the different versions of the binaries.
    • Open the proper ppd file for your printer in your preferred editor and do the following edits:
      • Change
        Code:
        /usr/lib/cups/filter/rerouteprintoption
        to
        Code:
        /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/rerouteprintoption
      • Change
        Code:
        /usr/lib/cups/filter/CommandFileFilterG2
        to
        Code:
        /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/CommandFileFilterG2
    • Open rerouteprintoption in the editor and change
      Code:
      #!/usr/bin/perl
      to
      Code:
      #!/usr/bin/env perl
  • As root
    • Copy CommandFileFilterG2 and LexHBPFilter from lib64 or lib depending on platform to /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/
    • copy rerouteprintoption to the same directory
    • Ensure that the permissions, owner and group on the new files is the same as the other files in the directory.
    • restart the cupsd service
  • As user
    • Access the cups web interface (default http://localhost:631) and configure the printer. Remember to use your edited ppd file and set default options to your liking.
    • If it all works you should be able to print the cups test printout.

This may be necrobumping a post. However, for the next person who ends up here after a deep-dive google search...
On a FreeBSD-14 system, install print/foomatic-db.
Package contains necessary software for multiple printers, including the Lexmark C3420 series. Works like a charm out-of-the-box.

Back