Solved How to install and load AMD drivers for RX 580 on stable 12.2?

Okay, I installed 12.1-RELEASE again and installed drm-kmod from pkg. It does not have the "ring 10" error in the dmesg, so I am certain now that is causing my problems. I had a previous comment here: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...-for-rx-580-on-stable-12-2.78148/#post-487888 it says that with 12.1-RELEASE I have the "ring 10" error too, but disabling syscons solved it. I remember disabling it with 12.2-RELEASE too. I'll try it again to collect data before reporting this as a 12.2 bug.

Okay, I don't know what I did wrong last time, but now I managed to install the driver and it works properly. I haven't tried KDE yet, but I have WQHD resolution in console and I don't have this "ring 10" error and GPU init failure. What I did differently this time is doing portsnap fetch update, pkg upgrade and pkg update before building the drm-kmod port and right after that I added hw.syscons.disable="1" to the /boot/loader.conf before rebooting the system. I am pretty sure that I had syscons disabled when I tried last time, so maybe I had a typo in it, or maybe updating the ports was the key. I don't know, what matters that it works now. :)

I still have one weirdness in both 12.1 and 12.2: "Failed to add WC MTRR for [0xe0000000-0xefffffff]: -22; performance may suffer", but it is not that relevant now.

building the drm-kmod port
You were advised to just build and install drm-fbsd12.0-kmod (and remove drm-kmod). It won't matter any more as soon as 12.1 is EOL, but for now, I'd still recommend you do that, so pkg won't try anything "bad"…

You were advised to just build and install drm-fbsd12.0-kmod (and remove drm-kmod). It won't matter any more as soon as 12.1 is EOL, but for now, I'd still recommend you do that, so pkg won't try anything "bad"…
Sure, I just wanted to try it this way first.

Back