Other How to give read, write, execute and create file permissions to group wheel for dir ?

I am compiling my own programs in /usr/local/src according to unix file system hyerarchy. I must give permission to group wheel for compiling and editing my programs there. How can I do that?

Please have a look at chmod()...
What about file deletions and creations in dir ? I tried chmod in my several setups and this didn’t work for it. I want to wheel group’s total domination on dir they should be able to create files and delete also edit on /usr/local/src and all sub-dirs of /usr/local/src

I also do not want chown dir It is not secure.

To allow file creations or deletions in a dir, use chmod to give the desired user or group write permissions to the dir.

Will it include sub folders...

If you had read the man page you would have seen a switch to use to recourse the sub folders...

how will I specify wheel group...

If wheel is not listed for the group when you list the files in the directory, then you will have to use chown() to make wheel the group owner of the files or whole directory...

And before you state again...
I also do not want chown dir It is not secure.

chown() is the only way to change a file or directory's owner or group and it's not insecure, it's only insecure if you change files or directories that don't need or shouldn't be changed, allowing access to users or processes that should not have access...

Back