How to get 9 RC1 via sysinstall options

Hello, all.

You will have to excuse me, Im slightly annoyed by the cryptic bs at the moment.

I have a 9-CURRENT disc, but my nvidia video driver is failing to install, due missing sources in Current, I found some info here, but between trying to decipher it through my little browser breaking phone screen, and half cocked answers, its beyond annoyed me to even fix it now

Im trying to set the options in sysinstall to pull RC1, but nothing works, its 9.0-CURRENT now..I tried 9.0-RC1...9.0-RELEASE...RELENG_9....RELENG_9_BP. FFS...its getting old. Would be nice to have been able to just find a direct answer.

Anyone happen to be able to help? If not, Ill just go burn another disc tomorrow.

Also, the announcement page for RC1 on the forum here...its nice how its leads you on a goose hunt, just to find it.

Carpetsmoker said:
Agreed, but that doesn't work on a new system with no FreeBSD ... :)

If I read the first post correctly he does have a working system. Just no working X, he can't get the NVidia driver to build because of the missing source tree.

So Dru, do you have a working system or not? If you do, use csup(1) to pull 9.0-RC1, build it (and a new kernel), and install the NVIDIA driver afterwards (which needs kernel and source tree to be in sync). If you don't, get the RC1 bootonly ISO (http://www.freebsd.org/where.html#helptest) and install the rest over the net. Then install the driver.

I apologize for getting a little wound up there.

I do have a working system, the nvidia driver was the last thing I needed to build. The reason I was trying to use sysinstall, instead of csup(1) was due to the situation. Hoped it would have just been an easier method to pull the sources, but it didn't quite turn out that way.

Then I decided I would just start fresh with RC1, changing the options in the same fashion as I had used for 7.3-8, but that's what led me here posting half aggravated.

Will get it sorted today. Carpetsmoker, SirDice, Dutch, much appreciate you guys. Thank you.

That's also a (regularly overlooked) possibility, yes. It's just a "canned distribution" of the source tree.

As long as that source is the exact same version as you have running it shouldn't be a problem.

Back