Solved How to disable the account pause (screensaver?)

Hello. Something which is really annoying me is the way that Gnome under FreeBSD seems to impose an inactivity lock, every couple of minutes (it seems). When the account is locked I get a screen with this pattern all over it...

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 16.06.10.png

Pressing escape leads me to this dialog, completion of which lets me carry on with my life.

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 16.07.29.png

As far as I know, I have vt enabled. This is my /boot/loader.conf...

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 16.11.40.png

What can I do to suppress this unwelcome interruption to my life?

As you can see, I've tried adding the vidcontrol -t off command but this seemed to cause an error message when I booted.

This has nothing to do with regular FreeBSD services but is tied to the Gnome framework. So you won't be able to influence this through /boot/loader.conf in any way. You should probably check Gnome's user configuration and in specific check the screensaver settings.

That's where you'd normally find options to lock a session after a small timeout period.

I've spent about an hour wading through out-of-date posts pointing to further or non-existent posts. Not surprisingly I cannot find anything that works. I found an option within the Gnome Configuration utility for the /desktop/gnome/accessibility/keyboard/timeout setting. This I changed from 200 to 200000 but that didn't work.

Here's a direct question. Has anyone got any direct experience of this actual problem and do they have a specific, easy to understand (within reasonable limits) explanation of how to fix it?

If you don't want GNOME to automatically lock the screen after a period of time then Settings > Privacy > Automatic Screen Lock > Off and Settings > Power > Power Saving > Black Screen > Never should do it.

If you don't want GNOME to automatically lock the screen after a period of time then Settings > Privacy > Automatic Screen Lock > Off and Settings > Power > Power Saving > Black Screen > Never should do it.

That sounds like just the ticket. I'll know for sure in just over 5 minutes. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay! It certainly did, thanks! However, in an entirely unconnected move, I decided to install XFCE, and I have to say that I prefer it. Nothing personal towards Gnome aficionados but, you know... different strokes for different folks!

Please mark the thread as [Solved] so that other users with the same problem know that there is a solution.

This will probably annoy certain individuals, but there's no obvious way to mark the thread as [Solved]. I cannot see a way to edit the thread title.

If anyone ever will find this thread, this is how it looks now in Gnome 42 - try search for "screen" and check "Screen Lock" option

1665727116087.png

1665727075601.png

Also for the battery:

1665727233268.png

Back