How to configure dhcp AND dhcpv6 at boot time

Hi folks...currently my machine gets an IPv4 address with the system dhclient.

I installed the isc-dhcp41 client port, configured it to request dhcpv6, manually run /usr/local/sbin/dhclient -6 -cf /usr/local/etc/dhclient.conf This works as well. I've looked through rc.conf options, and I don't see a means to differentiate between dhcpv4 and dhcpv6.

How can I configure system boot to run the appropriate dhclient and config for each of the two protocols?

Thanks

I guess that many people like stateless autoconfiguration for IPv6 instead of stateful with DHCPV6.

I know this, hence my initial question.

How can I configure FreeBSD 8 to initialize BOTH dhcpv4 and dhcpv6 at boot?

Tricky. But you could try copying the original rc script and modify it slightly so one script starts the IPv4 and the other IPv6.

nakal said:
I guess that many people like stateless autoconfiguration for IPv6 instead of stateful with DHCPV6.

Well, I don't like stateless but like stateful configuration and have the same problem. I can only use either DHCPv4 or DHCPv6 at boot time and have to manually start dhclient after boot - which is annoying.

SirDice said:
Old thread but I recently changed my configuration. I'm using the standard dhclient(8) for IPv4 and dhcp6c(8) from net/dhcp6 for IPv6. This seems to work quite well.

Hm, doesn't work for me. At least in Debian/Ubuntu, there is a script in /etc/wide-dhcpv6/dhcp6c-script that some additional work. What is necessary in FreeBSD to get that work?

I did create a /usr/local/etc/dhcp6c.conf:
Code:
interface tun0 {
        send ia-pd 0;
};
id-assoc pd {
        prefix-interface rl0 {
                sla-id 1;
        };
};

SirDice said:
I did create a /usr/local/etc/dhcp6c.conf:
Code:
interface tun0 {
        send ia-pd 0;
};
id-assoc pd {
        prefix-interface rl0 {
                sla-id 1;
        };
};

I tried that and replaces tun0 and r10 with em0, but that didn't work. My original dhcp6c.conf looked like that:

Code:
interface eth0
{
	send ia-na 0;
	request domain-name-servers;
	request domain-name;
};

id-assoc na {		
};

Back