How to bluetooth?

BTW: Welcome to the forum!
Thanks.
I should have been clearer. It is more accurate to say that they work but are not necessarily supported. However, I first tried out a USB 2.0 device and then tried the CSR 4.0 device and the CSR devices seem to work faster than the 2.0 devices. The main reason I posted is that it has been mentioned that versions 3.0 and 4.0 don't work, but I was pointing out that they do. Perhaps I can post some speeds later.

I think you should make connection to a BT 4.0 device by your CSR dongle. If it works, it means BT 4.0 is supported by FreeBSD. Otherwise, it just supports low version. And it works, just because your CSR 4.0 dongle support v1.0---v4.0.

For information....

In some cases, bluetooth audio may work.... the FreeBSD handbook is not totally false, but may be incomplete

Base system can associate devices, but it requires an additional audio "firmware layer"

This firmware layer is included in audio/virtual_oss

I haven't personally tried, but from what I have read this is working, and it seems that even under Linux, bluetooth audio is handled by 'virtual_oss'

I don't know if it supports high definition audio, but basic audio can work

To setup 'virtual_oss' you should find help on Google

Anyway.... there is no real support of Bluetooth in FreeBSD, and this isn't a priority.
The current support is very basic, through 'netgraph' modules.
Netgraph modules are intended first to create/manage virtual network devices (for advanced users)

This is not basically the goal of Netgraph to manage bluetooth... so I always found that strange and "wobbly". It seems to be more a "workaround solution" or "quick and dirty job" for just a basic support for keyboard and mouse.

According to me, there is no guaranty for the future regarding the support of bluetooth in FreeBSD.

Bluetooth works for me with my bluetooth headsets

The fact that BT is included in the handbook led me into trying to get my headset working with FreeBSD a few years ago.
What I found was that the supposedly supported chipsets showed up as bluetooth, and the ones not supported as wireless usb devices.

I managed to get pairing work on FreeBSD, but audio itself... no luck with all bt dongles and headsets I tried.

Anyway, it is not impossible to get bluetooth work: create a windows virtualbox, pass through the usb device and let windows do the work...
To prevent false hopes, the bluetooth situation on Linux is not much better.

Hi,
What are you experience with BT audio connection?
I am Running FreeBSD 12.1-REALESE and using CSR 4.0 Bluetooth USB dongle.
I was able to connect some cheap (below $10) Bluetooth audio receiver BTR-302 but I did not succeed with anything else.
I tried already JBL Flip 4 speaker and Fioo uBTR headphones amplifier without success.

What BT audio devices did you manage to connect and what not.

I am Running FreeBSD 12.1-REALESE and using CSR 4.0 Bluetooth USB dongle.
I was able to connect to some cheap (below $4) Bluetooth audio receiver BTR-302 (v3.0 + EDR )
I was NOT able to connect to JBL Flip 4 speaker nor Fioo uBTR headphones amplifier.

Back