How to block country ip's

Hi, I need to find a bash script or something to add IPFW rules and block massive ip addresses from countries.

I looked at ipdeny but their generator is not working. I need some way to easily download the files from ipdeny and then have IPFW load these ip's in.

How would I do this?

Hello,

I do not use IPFW but PF, however I use the cron job bellow to update the geoblock file (I created) what PF is configurated look into to block addresses. You may want to do something similar on IPFW.

Code:
@monthly curl -s http://www.ipdeny.com/ipblocks/data/countries/{cn,us,tr,ru,tw,ro,in,it,hu}.zone > \
[FILE]/usr/local/etc/blocked/geoblock[/FILE]

I don't want to divert ports. I have already have rules set in IPFW and just want to make things simple. Just want to block all ip's from certain countries from coming in and out. Maybe making a ip table and deny it and running a script to add ip blocks to this table would be the solution. I don't know but want a solution to block certain countries from connecting. I think that tool is complicated to use and I don't want to divert ports. The reason is I already have rules set for most of the ports. Isn't diverting it going to bypass my firewall?

My solution isn't slick, but you are welcome to it. I go to this page:
https://www.ip2location.com/blockvisitorsbycountry.aspx
I get the CIDRs for each country from the menu and download them. I then create a simple shell script to feed them to a table for ipfw. In this case, I am using a table numbered "3". The format of the file follows:
Code:
ipfw -q table 3 add 5.62.60.4/30
ipfw -q table 3 add 5.62.62.4/30
ipfw -q table 3 add 37.255.187.0/27
Inside /etc/rc.firewall, I added these lines:
Code:
#block email
${fwcmd} add  568 deny log all  from 'table(3)' to any dst-port  110
${fwcmd} add  569 deny log all  from 'table(3)' to any dst-port 143
${fwcmd} add  570 deny log all  from 'table(3)' to any dst-port  465
${fwcmd} add  571 deny log all  from 'table(3)' to any dst-port 587
${fwcmd} add  572 deny log all  from 'table(3)' to any dst-port  993
${fwcmd} add  573 deny log all  from 'table(3)' to any dst-port  995
In this particular case, I am blocking all email ports other than 25 from countries where I don't reside or visit.

Where to place the "deny" lines is tricky. I suggest researching a program like sshguard and put the "deny" in a similar location as they suggest for that service.

When possible, I like solutions not to depend on external databases, at least in real time. This is a self-contained solution, though the database changes quarterly and like all databases, will have a bug or two. For instance, the Chaos Computer Club was trying to hack my email from all things, their own traceable IP space! So I maintain an additional file of additions.

Back