How stupid people can be ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet."
Stanislaw Lem

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-chat/2011-November/006642.html

Everyone:

I just got a call from the owner of a hotel for which we provide
hotspot service. She says that a guest spotted the "Powered by
FreeBSD" logo at the bottom of the login page, and was offended;
the guest was convinced that either we or the hotel management
"worshipped the Devil" and refused to stay at the hotel unless the
logo was removed. The owner could make no headway by explaining
that the besneakered mascot was a cartoon character and was a
daemon, not the Devil. And she feared upsetting the guest even more
if she said that large portions of the same software are inside
every Mac and iPad. The hotel stands to lose more than $1000 if the
guest, who had originally planned to stay for a long period, moves out.

One of our tech support people also got a call directly from the
hotel guest, who claimed that having the logo on the page
constituted "abuse." The guest also claimed to be "losing money"
because she wouldn't use the hotspot if there was a "devil" on the
splash page. He didn't even realize what she was talking about at
first.... He couldn't imagine why on Earth this person was calling
him and going on about devils.

Attempts at misguided religious censorship notwithstanding, I don't
want to see one of my ISP's customers lose business. And I'd like
to keep a FreeBSD logo on our hotspot page. Is there artwork that
doesn't include horned creatures that might offend the ignorant or
superstitious?

--Brett Glass

We have to admit it: the beastie logo is really, really scaring! And the way it is laughing....oh dear, it makes me not sleeping at night!
So what is coming next? The guest will not use Apple because he's frightened by lions and tigers? And will not drive a viper car?

A colleague of mine used to work for an ISP, he told me he got called on multiple occasions by customers asking if they had any other dialup number to use, because they refused to type 666 at the end.

For some reason, I seem to recall another story of this same nature but can't place it.

Though it did remind me of this quote from uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/FreeBSD, which makes me laugh.

Since 5.0, FreeBSD has a new mascot, the two person red dildo. They decided that the demon was not evil enough so they had to use an icon representative of masturbation and D1ck Cheney.

Not really a fan of the "two person red dildo". If Beastie ever disappears due to public correctness/image, I will be highly disappointed.

Dru said:
If Beastie ever disappears due to public correctness/image, I will be highly disappointed.
Absolutely agree and I refuse to use any other icon.

I'm sure they'd really freak out if they found out we get some info from a wiki.

Dru said:
For some reason, I seem to recall another story of this same nature but can't place it.

Though it did remind me of this quote from uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/FreeBSD, which makes me laugh.

Not really a fan of the "two person red dildo". If Beastie ever disappears due to public correctness/image, I will be highly disappointed.

The orb is the FreeBSD logo.
Beastie is the FreeBSD mascot.

One is not a replacement for the other.

Not that I'd expect a satire site to get it right. But still. :)

UNIXgod said:
It was reprinted in leheys book or one of dru's earlier ones. My memory evades me.
The former. Lehey's book also includes an interesting story about the original daemon artwork made by (in some circles) well-known artist Phil Foglio.

Fonz

phoenix said:
The orb is the FreeBSD logo.
Beastie is the FreeBSD mascot.

One is not a replacement for the other.

This is a pedantic difference.

I remember the competition that was held which resulted in the orb that we have today (which still has horns). I joked to another IRC user that it would probably be a lame sphere or other basic geometric shape that wins, and we were right.

We were going to submit one of our own, basically an updated Beastie with considerably more endowment, guns, and a crucified Mother Teresa hanging from a chain necklace.

Ok guys, I'm going to close it here. We don't want to veer off into religious territory too much, since the forum rules are clear about that, and for good reason ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back