Solved How much space do I need to run portsnap fetch extract?

Code:
ls /dev |grep 'mmcsd0'
mmcsd0
mmcsd0s1
mmcsd0s2
mmcsd0s2a

gpart show mmcsd0
is the same except freebsd changed to (29G) and no more free space because I did a resize.

That's OK I just wanted to make sure they were not mmcsd0p1 type names.

You are using slices with MBR so that looks the same as Arm v6/7.

How about this:
gpart resize -i 1 mmcsd0s2a

if growfs /dev/mmcsd0s2a still throws an error message, please post the output of ls -l /dev/mmcsd0*
Code:
crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x43 Jun 24 05:45 /dev/mmcsd0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x44 Jun 24 05:45 /dev/mmcsd0s1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x45 Jun 24 05:45 /dev/mmcsd0s2
crw-r-----  1 root  operator  0x4c Jun 24 05:45 /dev/mmcsd0s2a

Hmm then the "operation not permitted" message seems not because of file permissions.
If you executed the growfs like I posted in post #54, my last idea would be to try it again with the -y option. I suppose you have read the growfs() man page.
Otherwise I would recommend to get the bsdlabel() utility and examine the partition using that.

Code:
growfs /dev/mmcsd0s2a gives the error growfs: requested size 1.8GB is not larger than the current filesystem size 1.8GB

it doesnt give any permission error.

Code:
I just did

[CMD]gpart resize -i 1 mmcsd0s2[/CMD]
mmcsd0s2a resized

than i did

[CMD]growfs /dev/mmcsd0s2a [/CMD]

and it worked with [CMD]gpart show[/CMD] being

=>      63  61120449  mmcsd0  MBR  (29G)
        63    102375       1  !12  [active]  (50M)
    102438       986          - free -  (493K)
    103424  61017088       2  freebsd  (29G)

=>       0  61017088  mmcsd0s2  BSD  (29G)
         0  61017088         1  freebsd-ufs  (29G)

I think the problem happened in message 50. Im sorry phishfry I thought me saying I did 2 instead of 1 and if that was wrong and you saying no so I never gpart with the 1 because I thought that saying what I did with 2 was the correct one to do.

Now about those memory disks.

All I am saying is package database needs to be built and it overflows memory disk.
So at least temporarily disable those 3 entries in fstab.
That or make them bigger stealing more RAM.

Now about those memory disks.

All I am saying is package database needs to be built and it overflows memory disk.
So at least temporarily disable those 3 entries in fstab.
That or make them bigger stealing more RAM.

And like the other user pointed out on a mounted filesystem growfs / is all it takes to resize.

alright. And I am confused by why you mean overflows memory disk. and to disable the 3 entries. I am a beginner so I get confused.

I did df -h

Filesystem_______Size_______Used____ Avail____Capacity_____Mounted on
/dev/mmcsd0s2a__1.7g_______1.7g ____-138m_____109%__________/
devfs___________1.0k_______1.0k______0B_______100%__________/dev
/dev/mmcsd0s1___50M________7.5M_____42M________15%__________/boot/efi
/dev/md0________48M________24K______44M________0%__________/temp
/dev/md1________14M________72K______13M________1%__________/var/log
/dev/md2________11M________12K______10M________0%__________/var/tmp

are you saying to delete the last 3 directories with fstab?

the package database uses temp directory to store info? or just when its running the command?

Pi3 is a little rough around the edges. With you using RaspBSD there could be package problems.
It uses an old image from June2017. Packages are many months ahead and that is a problem.(quarterly is past this)
You probably gonna want to run the image from the official FreeBSD download page for FreeBSD 12-CURRENT.
That would be a better choice in my opinion.
Like I said Pi3 is a rocky road.

Maybe you don't need this trouble. Just try it with disk space now and report back.

I edit fstab with this:
ee /etc/fstab
Add pound signs in front of md0, md1, md2

escape key brings up menu to save.

Pi3 is a little rough around the edges. With you using RaspBSD there could be package problems.
It uses an old image from June2017. Packages are many months ahead and that is a problem.(quarterly is past this)
You probably gonna want to run the image from the official FreeBSD download page for FreeBSD 12-CURRENT.
That would be a better choice in my opinion.
Like I said Pi3 is a rocky road.
I'll reformat my disk with the image from the official bsd site. I still use the img from the rasp pi section of the site, right?

I don't know if my advice about ditching the RaspBSD image and using -CURRENT is such a good idea.
More like my personal thought. Ports built from recent ports tree should work fine on RaspBSD image.
That was a bad statement from me. I always default to newest current. Packages should be OK too. There is a arm64 repository now too.

I don't know if my advice about ditching the RaspBSD image and using -CURRENT is such a good idea.
More like my personal thought. Ports built from recent ports tree should work fine on RaspBSD image.
That was a bad statement from me. I always default to newest current. Packages should be OK too. There is a arm64 repository now too.
Im extracting the ports tree now. If I have trouble with anything i'll upgrade but I am just using it to get back into programming c and I use the pi3 in my desk with a keyboard and monitor switch so I can do it on down time and on my breaks and it doesnt take up any room.

Back