How much FreeBSD is there in your world?

1. I Use FreeBSD at - Home / Work / Both
2. I use a other version of BSD (Open, Net etc) at - Home / Work / Both
3. I use another OS at Home / Work / Both and it's (OSX, Linux, Windows) -
4. Please give a general estimate on number of computers running FreeBSD or a derivative at your Work and Home.
5. What is the main use of computers running FreeBSD or a derivative.

1) only at home, work is for 90% Windows dominated, the rest from 10% are Linux servers

2) FreeNAS and PC-BSD on two desktops and one laptop

3) Most of my desktops at home are running Debian Linux with Gnome, 2 Systems for Audio/Video are still runnning Windows2000

4) At home 3xPC-BSD, 2xFreeBSD and 3xFreeNAS, some FreeNAS filers at friendships, no FreeBSD at work :-(
BTW: I was really surprised, not one of our IT admins heard about FreeBSD before or had any contact with it during his worklife...

5) File storage

saxon3049 said:
I don't support any football team, odd but there you go.
Odd indeed, but you're probably better off that way ;)

Fonz (who favours the mighty (uhm... used to be, anyway) reds of Anfield Road, but nevermind that :p)

FreeNAS for home file sharing
PC-BSD desktop (me)
FreeBSD laptop (me)

Ubuntu desktop (father)
Ubuntu laptop (wife)

This was as close as I could get with them being comfortable with non ms products. Who knows, maybe in an year or two I will switch them to PC-BSD as it gets even better and better :)

My home & work desktops both run Windows 7. I think I might be the only person on this forum that actually thinks it's a half decent, productive OS for desktop use. Can't stand anything that comes under the 'Microsoft Server Technologies' banner though - slow, resource hungry, overly complicated stuff that tends to break randomly.

My home NAS is a neat little FreeBSD/ZFS box running Samba/mediatomb/etc - so 1 at home.

At work we probably have about 30-50 FreeBSD servers (not going to count them). Generally they are mail, web, dns, dhcp, radius, the usual ISP stuff. Most are physical but we have about 10 on top of VMWare ESXi.

1. Home and work: FreeBSD amd64 8.2-Release + KDE
2. Servers: FreeBSD (i386/amd64), win, gentoo
3. Girlfriend's PC: WinXP :\

Thanks guy's, please keep the answers coming.

Oh and Fonz if you ever decide to take the 29.99 flight over to Liverpool to watch a game let me know, I prity much know every drinking establishment in this fair city ;).

Back