How is 14 doing for folks?

I did an install following my usual process... on my Thinkpad T430... and got a kernel panic partway through my configuration of cups. No telling what caused it, I decided to go with trusty 13.2 for the time being. But, I'm curious what others have experienced since the release. Is it stable for you?

SNAFU - Situation normal, all fucked up.

No sound, no wifi, Firefox crashes instantly. That is on my Raspberry Pi 400 (a Tier 1 platform).

I have 4 machines running 14.0 They all are working very well. Everything works on them. The first is this machine I am on now. It's an OEM HP board with an i7-3770 and RX 6400. The others are a laptop with the A10-8700P, a Dell Micro 7050 with the i5 7th gen and a Dell 755 with the Q9550 chip and an Nvidia Quadro 600. Everything is working well on these systems. I've not updated all my systems yet though. Oh, I forgot I have another running a Dell OEM motherboard and a i5 5th gen with an RX 560 DE.

FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE doing very well on my self assembled amd64 electronic binary digital computer system.

root@m:/home/m # neofetch --off
m@m
---
Uptime: 3 hours, 34 mins
Packages: 921 (pkg)
Shell: sh
Resolution: 1366x768
DE: Xfce 4.18
WM: Xfwm4
Theme: Adwaita [GTK3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK3]
Terminal: terminology
CPU: AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7 4C+8G (4) @ 4.092GHz
GPU: Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]
Memory: 3043MiB / 7074MiB
root@m:/home/m #

FreeBSD 14 runs well on my Lenovo ThinkCentre. Had some minor issues with the upgrade from 13.2, but they were easily resolved.
  • root password was deleted, probably because I deleted too much reviewing and deleting change comments. /etc/passwd. Reset the root password as root using passwd;
  • pkg missed some component (libssl.so), pkg bootstrap -f did the trick;
  • www/firefox somehow wasn't re-installed, became a blessing to use an other browser with much better usability (www/qutebrowser can do it all, including youtube and twitter video).

Packages: 1087 (pkg)
Shell: sh
Resolution: 1024x768
WM: CWM
CPU: Intel i5-4590 (4) @ 3.292GHz
GPU: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Memory: 1813MiB / 8047MiB

No issues with it on my personal server thats being hosted by Digital Ocean, upgrade from 13.2 went without a hitch.

Also no real issues here on my i9 based desktop system (with an NVidia RTX 3070 GPU, 64GB RAM, fast SSD). Running KDE on it. Performance is good. I had a small annoyance with HWPSTATE_INTEL and its CPU powersaving behavior which I didn't want on my desktop system, however it was easy enough to work around (disabled that driver entirely).

Is there any decent IDE I can use for dev work? That has always been a bit of an issue for me with FreeBSD on the desktop. On linux I am used to using VSCode or Atom - yeah they are both clunky and use a lot of memory but are nice. Atom is now a dead project and sadly I could never get Atom to work on FreeBSD. What are people using for an developer IDE on FreeBSD?

No issues with it on my personal server thats being hosted by Digital Ocean, upgrade from 13.2 went without a hitch.

Also no real issues here on my i9 based desktop system (with an NVidia RTX 3070 GPU, 64GB RAM, fast SSD). Running KDE on it. Performance is good. I had a small annoyance with HWPSTATE_INTEL and its CPU powersaving behavior which I didn't want on my desktop system, however it was easy enough to work around (disabled that driver entirely).

Is there any decent IDE I can use for dev work? That has always been a bit of an issue for me with FreeBSD on the desktop. On linux I am used to using VSCode or Atom - yeah they are both clunky and use a lot of memory but are nice. Atom is now a dead project and sadly I could never get Atom to work on FreeBSD. What are people using for an developer IDE on FreeBSD?
What languages are you using/wanting to use?

Unfortunately, I had a problem that affects me quite badly.
Rtwn usb wifi driver not working with hostapd.
I reported the error, unfortunately it also occurred to someone else.
I'm waiting for a fix, until then I'm using 13.2.
Otherwise, everything else works.
(fortunately, NFS also runs in jail).

So far I upgraded about half of my machines from 13.2-RELEASE to 14.0-RELEASE (both servers and desktops). None of them experienced even the slightest of problems. All running smoothly just as before. No issues that wouldn't be present otherwise anyway.

Rock solid experience so far.

FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE supported text file editors are,

CLI Text File Editors are,

ed, ee, ex, vi, sed, micro, nano, ...

GUI Text File Editors are,

lite
lite-xl
gnome-text-editor
gedit
kate
vscode
geany
eclipse
netbeans
intellij

WebUI Text File Editors are,

you need to install node.js npm then start it to edit localhost files via firefox, ungoogled chromium, chromium, ...

cloudcmd

FYI : there is more, kindly spend some time to pkg search or port it to our FreeBSD

It's been running great on Thinkpad P40. Seems to give better performance than 13. They did a great job.

Issues just booting the install media on a Precision 5510 Xeon based system, though.

Ansible (YAML), PHP, C, C++, CMake project files, Jenkins Pipeline Jobs, Shell scripts (its why I like things like VScode and Atom, they have really good syntax checkers+highlighting and other plugins which can help you find syntax mistakes while you type).

VScode will work on freebsd?
Yeah, VScode works really well. I've been using it for a while now.

I only run one 14.0 machine so far, a webserver. No problems.

My interactive/GUI machines are all 15-current.
Any issues with 15/any major benefit to using it?

yes, you can install via

pkg install vscode

from my FreeBSD

Version: 1.85.0
Commit: af28b32d7e553898b2a91af498b1fb666fdebe0c
Date: 2023-12-23T02:33:09.931Z
Electron: 25.9.8
ElectronBuildId: undefined
Chromium: 114.0.5735.289
Node.js: 18.15.0
V8: 11.4.183.29-electron.0

On my Lenovo T495 works without problems and the same as before on 13.2.

Uptime: 1 day, 14 hours, 40 mins
Packages: 885 (pkg)
Shell: ksh93 version sh 93u+m/1.0.7 2023-09-15
Resolution: 1920x1080, 2560x1440
WM: Openbox
WM Theme: Triste-Froly
Theme: Adwaita [GTK3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK3]
Terminal: urxvt
Terminal Font: Hack
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3500U w/ Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (8) @ 2.096GHz
GPU: Picasso/Raven 2 [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series
Memory: 5090MiB / 14216MiB

I had to abandon DO. Upgrading to 14.0-RELEASE broke networking - this with no firewall and nothing exotic. It was easier to spin up a new instance (with a 14.0-RELEASE image ready to go) at vultr.com than to troubleshoot DO's environment. I moved two VMs to vultr.com and have had no problems since.

Ansible (YAML), PHP, C, C++, CMake project files, Jenkins Pipeline Jobs, Shell scripts (its why I like things like VScode and Atom, they have really good syntax checkers+highlighting and other plugins which can help you find syntax mistakes while you type).

Sounds like a job for vi :).

FreeBSD 14 running on HP xw8600 and Z440, thinkpad t420.

I have used the sysutils/desktop-installer for the installations (KDE Plasma 5), due to lack of tinker time. I was impressed by the performance on all three, so kept the installations.

KDE Plasma 5 crashes once and a while during startup at the Z440. Until now this was "solved" by removing ~/.cache/* and ~/.Xauthority.

The Z440 came with a W10 installation on an nvme drive and an empty 512GB hdd. Bios decided to boot Beastie first, I kept it that way :).

Two systems upgraded from stable/13 to stable/14 the minute it became available. All systems (~13) at home have all been upgraded to 14.0-RELEASE with zero issues. VPS is still running 13.2 and needs to be done, but I'll get to that soon enough. Have a bunch of jails running there, it takes a bit of effort to get it all done.

Back