How do you say...... (words with different pronounciations)

tingo said:
Because cash is a different word?
cash = money, dollars, dineros, ståler
(sorry, I couldn't resist :e )

To play along, then, do you pronounce "there", "their", and "they're" differently? ;) What about "red" and "read" (past tense)? Or "rein" and "rain"? Or any of the other homonyms out there. :D

"cash" and "cache" are homonyms, simple as that.

(Yeah, I'm touchy about people mucking around with my last name.) :)

phoenix said:
Too many professors and database people say "sequel" for SQL. Especially MS people. Seems the "unofficial" name for SQL Server is "sequel server". So, what was the prequel server? ;)

Damn it people, it's SQL, as in "ess kew el". It's not "sequel". There's no "e" in there.

I tried to get people to call it "squeal", since that's what the letters sounds like if you read it as a word. And it just fits so much better. ;) Especially when talking about "MS squeal server". :) None of my MS-loving fellow students seemed impressed. ;)

DutchDaemon said:
Some non-techs (who think they're 'in the know') call MySQL 'my sequel'. Please tell me no one else does ...

Actually, "SEQUEL" is a remnant from the days back in early '70s.

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/chamberlin/sequel-1974.pdf

anemos said:
Actually, "SEQUEL" is a remnant from the days back in early '70s.

Sure, but there the E was an integral part of the abbreviation: "SEQUEL: A STRUCTURED ENGLISH QUERY LANGUAGE".

No such thing with modern SQLs.

Who cares about the whole thing? In the end, it's all about how Da Man will come up with da kewlest way of saying things. And then a new trend appears.
All this bickering over how to "professionally" pronounce "this" or "that" in both academia and business is really tiring. It's as good as the debates over the bikeshed color or the gender of angels. :p

DutchDaemon said:
Sure, but there the E was an integral part of the abbreviation: "SEQUEL: A STRUCTURED ENGLISH QUERY LANGUAGE".

No such thing with modern SQLs.

No such thing as A or U in SCSI either.

But if you pronounce the letters S, C, S, and I together, what do you get? ;) ("skizzy" or "skuzzy")

Just like if you pronounce the letters S, Q, and L together, what do you get? ;) (Okay, so maybe "skool" or "skull" would be closer, but "squeal" just fits better, IMO.)

SQL will always be 'ess que ell' :p

My cisco class teacher says "my sequel"... so annoying :|

SCSI, I pronounce, 'skuzzy'.

Back