Solved How do you check to see if Hyper-V is enabled using console

Hi,

I use a PowerEdge R610 server and when I installed a bhyve VM in FreeBSD 11.1, I cannot start the VM.

So I was advised to check if I have v-hyper enabled in the bios...

Is there a way I can find out without to stop the sever as it is a production/live machine.

Thank you

Hi,

I'm guessing that you are running FreeBSD 11.1 on the PowerEdge R610 hardware.

Hyper-V is a Microsoft hypervisor for Windows. So that does not make sense in context.

Perhaps you mean Intel VT-x (or AMD-V) options which provide hardware assist for CPU virtualisation?

If so, look for "Features" in the output of dmesg(8).

[VT-x (or AMD-V) does need to be enabled in the BIOS before your hypervisor can use them.]

Cheers,

Perhaps you mean Intel VT-x (or AMD-V) options which provide hardware assist for CPU virtualisation?
Yes, you understood me correctly. Sorry about that.
Code:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5630  @ 2.53GHz (2527.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x206c2  Family=0x6  Model=0x2c  Stepping=2
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x29ee3ff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,DCA,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI>
  AMD Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
real memory  = 25769803776 (24576 MB)
So from the above am I correct to say that my server is setup to run bhyve as I can see VT-x is showing?

It does look like everything is in order. As far as I know you can just load the kernel module. It will complain about missing features if things are disabled. So if it happens to be disabled in the BIOS it will simply fail to load with an error.

Note that the first time you load it (and it works) the host may appear to stall or hang for a second or so. It won't cause any problems but it freaked me out the first time. So beware of that, no need to freak out ;)

Back