Solved How do I pkg install from Windows?

I know it's a stupid question but I have a dilema... I want to install a pkg but my only access to the Internet at the moment is via a Windows PC. If I can download it I can them copy it to a FreeBSD system and install it locally, but how do I grab the package in the first place?

Tricky since you cannot browse the directories anymore. So you need to guess the exact filename (specifically the version number). Not impossible to do but requires a little guesswork and knowing which versions are available (Freshports is quite useful for this).

Tricky since you cannot browse the directories anymore. So you need to guess the exact filename (specifically the version number). Not impossible to do but requires a little guesswork and knowing which versions are available (Freshports is quite useful for this).

If the Windows PC can run VirtualBox (or something) you could create a FreeBSD VM (VM-IMAGES ) and then download the Packages pkg fetch $YOURPACKAGE then move the Packages from /var/cache/pkg/ to a "Shared Folder". Finally, transfer the Packages to its destination on your FreeBSD Host.

Is there a way to obtain a snapshot of the same ports collection that was used to build the packages of a certain quarterly? If so, then you could get the package name from that via make package-name.

Otherwise, perhaps you could download and copy across the database file onto your offline FreeBSD install?

Or just run FreeBSD in a virtual machine and download *all* packages for an offline backup. This one is most convenient in the long run (if you have the bandwidth).

Back